Trying to figure out the best way to pitch yourself? Heard a new rumor about application? Join the discussion.

KyleG605
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Applying late due to extenuating circumstances

by KyleG605 Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:13 pm

I am currently serving in the military overseas and have been for the past 3 years. March will be my first opportunity to take the LSAT when I come home. Is it advisable or even feasible to apply so late and be admitted? The admission counselors from schools I reached out to made it seem as if there was a chance of admission but lower chance of financial aid. Thanks for any guidance you can offer.

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 2812
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Applying late due to extenuating circumstances

by ohthatpatrick Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:02 am

Hey, Kyle.

I'm no admissions expert, but I think the common wisdom is that
1st round: best chance at admission + financial aid
2nd round: basically just as good a chance at admission, but worse chance at financial aid
3rd round: worse chances at admission, real bad odds at financial aid

However, the more atypical or interesting your background, the more you would be considered a prime 3rd round candidate.

Someone with military experience would be a much more desirable addition to the student body than another Poli Sci undergrad, so you have a better 3rd round chance than most other people.

Maybe the most important thing to hear is that there's no risk (other than your time/money) in applying late this cycle. If you end up not being admitted, it's not like they'll blacklist you for the future.

So if you think you can pull it together to take a test / submit some apps, and your dream scenario is to start in the this upcoming fall, then you definitely have SOME chance.

Just emotionally hedge against disappointment, knowing it might not work out this time but that doesn't mean you won't fare better re-submitting in the fall.

Good luck (and thanks for your service!)

KyleG605
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Applying late due to extenuating circumstances

by KyleG605 Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:09 am

Thanks, I think what worried me most was that I would be hurting my chances for future acceptances. I appreciate the response.