Trying to figure out the best way to pitch yourself? Heard a new rumor about application? Join the discussion.

ManhattanPrepLSAT1
Thanks Received: 1909
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Law School Expert

by ManhattanPrepLSAT1 Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:24 pm

Ann Levine, owner and chief consultant of Law School Expert, is the former director of admissions for two ABA-approved law schools and author of "The Law School Admission Game" and "The Law School Decision Game." Ann provides supportive and candid law school admission coaching, as well as beginning-to-end consulting on the entire law school admission process including:

"¢ Creating impressive, effective law school personal statements and addenda, from brainstorming to final editing with unlimited versions;

"¢ Timeline management for every application, based on schedule and goals; and

"¢ Advice on any topic: where to apply, letters of recommendation, explaining a weakness, whether to retake the LSAT, etc.

brandon.c.francis
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Law School Expert

by brandon.c.francis Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:43 am

hello:

I got my scores back and I am not pleased to say the least. I scored a 145, which is about 10 points lower than I was prep testing at. My question is should I spend the time and take again or use the time before admission to beef up the rest of my application? I have a great GPA and have done all this while working, and a family.

I guess my question is, will my low score weed my application out from ever being seen fully?

ann
Thanks Received: 6
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by ann Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:44 pm

Hi. I'm sorry you received disappointing news about the LSAT. I think you need to regroup. I think the best plan for you is to retake the LSAT in February (assuming you would be happy with a score in the mid 150s where you've been practicing) and then apply early for the Fall 2015 cycle. I know no one likes to delay, but it's better to get into the right school for you rather than just go to whatever school will accept you right now.

Please let me know if you have further questions.
Ann K. Levine, Esq.
Law School Admission Consultant
LawSchoolExpert.com
"Law School Admission Game" (2013)

Friend of all ManhattanLSAT people because they ROCK!

bdg
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by bdg Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:33 pm

Hey Ann,

I have a question. I got a 166 on the September LSAT. I was pleased, but know that I could score a few points better. I was consistently around the 170 range on my last 5 practice test. The schools I would like to attend all have a median LSAT score of either 168 or 169 and a 166 is usually the 25th percentile marker.

I have a strong application outside of my LSAT score, and think I could get in my top schools if my application is not immediately put aside because of a low LSAT score.

All that being said, do you think I should retake in December? And if so, do I go ahead and apply now with an addendum that I am retaking?

Thank you for your help!

bdg
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by bdg Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:37 pm

Or since I just realized that this thread is fairly old-and perhaps Ann does not check too frequently-anyone with advice would be appreciated.

ann
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by ann Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:57 am

Hi - thanks for your patience. I only see these posts when Manhattan tells me they exist : )
If you are confident you could do a 168-169 then it would be worth waiting for, and I would urge you to wait and apply when you have your new score so you can focus on the LSAT and so you can submit an LSAT addendum with your applications.
Ann K. Levine, Esq.
LawSchoolExpert.com

zhoushiwen
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by zhoushiwen Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:45 pm

Dear Ann,

Hi, I have a question about LSAT. I just started to prepare for the LSAT this July and intended to take the December LSAT test. I assumed that it would still be in time for application, but my friends suggest that I should submit my application as early as possible because the enrollment is on a rolling basis. Thus, I am hesitating between taking the October test (which leaves not so much time for preparation, I guess?) and taking the December test (when top law schools may no longer have seats left). What is your advice? Or you think I should wait for one more year?

I am also wondering as a Hong Kong student, do I need to take the toefl examination as well?

Thanks for your attention.

ann
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by ann Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:31 pm

zhoushiwen Wrote:Dear Ann,

Hi, I have a question about LSAT. I just started to prepare for the LSAT this July and intended to take the December LSAT test. I assumed that it would still be in time for application, but my friends suggest that I should submit my application as early as possible because the enrollment is on a rolling basis. Thus, I am hesitating between taking the October test (which leaves not so much time for preparation, I guess?) and taking the December test (when top law schools may no longer have seats left). What is your advice? Or you think I should wait for one more year?

I am also wondering as a Hong Kong student, do I need to take the toefl examination as well?

Thanks for your attention.

- Hi - You should register for October and see how you're doing on practice tests. If you feel you have upward mobility in your score and you're not ready for the test, then withdraw and wait until December. No reason to wait another cycle at this point. If your undergraduate work was not done in English (and you have no graduate degrees in the US) schools may require the TOEFL> - Ann
Ann K. Levine, Esq.
LawSchoolExpert.com

27k.baker
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by 27k.baker Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:40 pm

Hi Ann,

I'm working on my Personal Statement, and I'm having trouble deciding on a topic. I've narrowed it down to two: 1) either my experience working with special needs young adults during the summer for the past few years, or 2) the lessons I've learned having a friend with Borderline Personality Disorder. I wasn't sure if writing about my experiences with special needs young adults would have a greater benefit since it would be more unique, with the lesson being that of valuing discipline for the sake of the individual's growth, because they have dignity and worth, and not simply as the means to punish wrongdoing. On the other hand, maybe it would be more beneficial for me to discuss the lessons I've learned from having this friendship - with the lessons that I no longer feel false guilt and take the blame for things I'm not personally responsible for, and that I'm willing to have difficult conversations which may communicate offensive truth - since everyone has been through friendship struggles. The aspects that makes Borderline Personality Disorder unique (that I most commonly dealt with) is just the introduction of more drama into a relationship, or when the affected individual tries to divide a close relationship you have with someone else in the hopes of "clinging" to you when that relationship suffers.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for your help!
Katherine

sahamufc9
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by sahamufc9 Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:42 pm

Hey Ann,

Thank you for your book and tips, I love it!

I was curious about what to do being on a waitlist for a school I'm DREAMING of going to. What should I do? Any tips?

I've read your suggestions in your book, and have been debating what to do.

Thanks,

Ava :)