Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.
mosstashar1
Students

Differential and integral calculus abd GMAT?

by mosstashar1 Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:13 pm

Hi,

I started preparing for the GMAT, and it seems not easy as I was expecting.I'm wondering after all these classes of Calculus in college, will it help me in GMAT?

The rate of change, velocity, acceleration, maxima , minma, and alot of other concepts.. could we use it in GMAT? if yes how?

I'm just trying to see if there any use of calculs in GMAT ..

:)

Thanks,
Moss
RB_51273
Students

Re: Differential and integral calculus abd GMAT?

by RB_51273 Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:39 am

Hi!
You can use any concept of your liking but bottom line is to answer the question and that too in stipulated time of 75 min.If you feel you can finish all the question in less than 75 min using all concepts,then there is no harm at all.But not that these are very math question of elementy math except afew of prob and statistics questions

Ram
mosstashar1
Students

by mosstashar1 Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:49 am

Hey RB,

Thanks for the suggestion. Deciding whether it's good idea to use Calculus or not on GMAT is my problem. I know it's good in some cases such as finding the maxima by taking the derivative and equals the equations to zero and so on instead of using algebra .. but I'm not sure about other cases..

Any further help in this subject please ..

:)
Mosst
RB_51273
Students

by RB_51273 Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:59 am

Hi!
It is a not a bad idea to use calculus but in opinion it may be time consuming.I am yet to come across any question where I need to use calculus,Simple logic and algebra are good enough to solve any question for the GMAT.Try to solve question using calculus if it consuming around 2 min it is good to use otherwise use the algebra.In problem solving there is hardly any difficult question which cannot be answered by any science graduate>It is only the time factor which is taking a toll

Hope you got it

Thanks

R B
Ben Ku
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by Ben Ku Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:01 pm

No questions on the GMAT require anything more than high school algebra. The reason why GMAT Math is hard is NOT because the math required is advanced, but because the questions are tricky. Also, many test takers have difficulty because they have not seen this math in awhile.
Ben Ku
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT