rbolden
Thanks Received: 0
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

Q12 - Many people say that the press

by rbolden Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:34 pm

Can you please explain the logic of this question? and how to figure out the answer step by step? Thanks.

ManhattanPrepLSAT2
Thanks Received: 311
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 2 times.

Re: Q12 - Many people say that the press

by ManhattanPrepLSAT2 Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:48 pm

Here's how I'd think about it - step by step --

1) It's a flaw question - I know I'm going to be reading for an argument core.

2) The author's conclusion is that the press has an obligation to publish non-libelous stories that are of interest to the public.

3) What's the evidence used? The press has a right to publish non-libelous stories that are of interest to the public.

4) The evidence and conclusion comprise the argument core -- I want to figure out the gap in that core:

The press has a right to publish non-libelous stories that are of interest to the public

THEREFORE

The press has an obligation to publish non-libelous stories that are of interest to the public

5) Notice that the significant difference between the premise and conclusion is that the premise is about a "right" whereas the conclusion is about an "obligation."

Are these concepts the same?

No, and that's the gap in reasoning.

Just because you are allowed to do something doesn't mean you should do it. The author is assuming a connection between right and obligation that has no validity, and that's the flaw that (B) addresses.

Hope that helps!

doug.feng
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by doug.feng Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:14 pm

Wrong Answer Choices:
(A): Out of Scope
(C): Out of Scope
(D): Reversed
(E): The argument doesn't do this

christine.defenbaugh
Thanks Received: 585
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by christine.defenbaugh Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:57 am

doug.feng Wrote:Wrong Answer Choices:
(A): Out of Scope
(C): Out of Scope
(D): Reversed
(E): The argument doesn't do this

Great work doug!

I love that you are deepening your logical reasoning mastery by working up explanations for questions! It's truly one of the best ways to fully cement your skills.

I would encourage you to demand more specificity of yourself, though. For instance, (A) is out of scope because the idea of "prying into their personal lives" only appears in the opposing point, not the argument core.

I'd like to challenge you to give these another go! Be specific about the exact thing that throws an answer out of contention!

mitrakhanom1
Thanks Received: 1
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

by mitrakhanom1 Thu May 14, 2015 12:54 am

I'm a little confused. I thought what follows BUT/YET/HOWEVER is the conclusion? Or is that only under certain conditions? I understand the last sentence has a the conclusion language cue "so" in it. But how am I suppose to know which one takes precedence? IS it because its a flaw question and we read it like a regular assumption family question? I originally picked D because I thought what follows BUT is the conclusion and I assumed the last sentence was the premise. Thanks.

christine.defenbaugh
Thanks Received: 585
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by christine.defenbaugh Sat May 23, 2015 12:15 am

Thanks for posting, mitrakhanom1!

First, you are correct that this is a flaw question, and as a result we do break down the argument core the same way that we break down all assumption family questions!

But the language cues but/however/yet do not always indicate a conclusion! Take a look at the following two arguments:

Joe thinks pizza is horrible. But pizza has cheese!! So, pizza is actually awesome.

Joe thinks pizza is horrible. But pizza is actually awesome, because it has cheese.

What's the difference between these two arguments? In both situations, the "but" simply separates Joe (the opposing point) from my argument. Also, both arguments have the same conclusion (that pizza is awesome), based on the same premise (pizza has cheese). The difference is the order that the premise and conclusion come in AFTER we get past the "but"! In the first argument, the keyword "so" points to the conclusion; the in second argument, the word "because" introduces the premise.

Words like 'but', 'however', 'yet' indicate a contrast, but they don't necessarily tell me anything about premise vs conclusion. They will often separate the opposing point from the author's argument as a whole, though! In this argument, the 'but' simply indicates that the first sentence is the opposing point. The 'so' at the beginning of the final sentence signals that it is the conclusion!

Be careful not to confuse contrast words with conclusion indicators!

Please let me know if this helps clear things up a bit!