Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Q22 - Theorist: Hatred and anger, grief and despair

by mshinners Fri Dec 31, 1999 8:00 pm

...a Jedi craves not these things.

Question Type:
Determine the Function

Stimulus Breakdown:
Ugh, I hate these ones that are all theoretical and about emotions. They make me so angry…

The Theorist starts with some statements about emotions, leading into a "So" statement. This transition tells us that the first sentence is a premise for that "So" sentence, which is either the main conclusion or an intermediate one.

After this first conclusion, there's a "for", which transitions into a premise. Since the rest of the argument is all part of this same sentence, the rest is all part of a premise, and the "So" half of the sentence is the main conclusion."

Answer Anticipation:
The statement in question is in that last section, so it's a premise. Taking a closer look there, we see the premise transitions with a "therefore" meaning we have an i. conclusion that's supported by the statement in question.

The answer will be some permutation of, "It's a premise offered in support of an i. conclusion of the author's argument.

Correct answer:
(C)

Answer choice analysis:
(A) I don't know if I'd call this a generalization (though I can see an argument for it), but we certainly don't discuss a particular instance of music. This answer is a first-pass elimination.

(B) Tricky trap answer! That second statement is long and convoluted, containing a qualifier ("even if"), a conclusion, a premise, and an i. conclusion. If you didn't distinguish between these different parts, then this would look like a good answer. However, the statement transitions to premise with "for".

(C) Bingo. I would probably defer on selecting this until after reading the other answers, but since it's a premise for an i. conclusion, it counts as partial support, and it's part of the author's argument.

(D) Again, I'm not sure I'd call this a generalization (see (A)), but the author never claims it's necessary to prove the argument. The author might agree it's necessary (since he includes it in his argument), but he never claims it's necessary.

(E) The statement in question is part of the Theorist's argument, so an answer about it being rejected should be ruled out immediately.

Takeaway/Pattern:
A single sentence can contain individual clauses that have different functions.

#officialexplanation