tamwaiman
Thanks Received: 26
Forum Guests

trophy
Most Thankful

Q19 - Raphaela: Forcing people to help

by tamwaiman Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:32 am

I would like to know why (D) is wrong?

Is the reason that (D) lacks of "emigration" or adds "forces people to help" ?

THX

noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 3 times.

Re:Q19 - Raphaela: Forcing people to help

by noah Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:46 pm

The crux of this problem is to pinpoint the disagreement. Raphaela says that the gov't can't tax us because that forces people to help others, which is morally wrong.

Edward feels that gov't can tax us as long as people have the right to leave.

(B) correctly names the point of disagreement - Edward feels that governments that allow emigration are entitled to tax people, while Raphaela states that no government has the right.

(A) is tempting - as it states Edwards position, however Raphaela would agree with this (it doesn't say "only governments that do not permit emigration...)

(C) is too broad for either point of view.

(D) is a tricky one! Edward and Raphaela probably agree that the government would be forcing people to help others: Raphaela says as such, and Edward doesn't explicilty speak to it, but does refer to "that right", referring either to the government's right to redistribute resources or its right to force people to help others. In the former case, we don't really hear Edward's opinion on the taxation=forced help issue, and in the latter, we see he agrees. Either way, there's no disagreement about the taxation=forced help issue.

(E) does not express either point of view. It's too broad as it discusses simply helping others, not taxation.

tzyc
Thanks Received: 0
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful

Re: Q19 - Raphaela: Forcing people to help

by tzyc Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:20 am

I'm still not sure about (D)...
Edward and Raphaela agree that the government would be forcing people to help others

I thought Raphaela disagrees to force people to help, so disagrees with the government to tax...
Or when you say "would be forcing", does this mean that would happen later? Or even now?(It's the situation they already have?)
Or even...it's a definition? They both think those " government that redistributes rescources via taxation" are those government force " people to help others"?

Thank you.

noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

by noah Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:37 am

tz_strawberry Wrote:I'm still not sure about (D)...
Edward and Raphaela agree that the government would be forcing people to help others

I thought Raphaela disagrees to force people to help, so disagrees with the government to tax...
Or when you say "would be forcing", does this mean that would happen later? Or even now?(It's the situation they already have?)
Or even...it's a definition? They both think those " government that redistributes rescources via taxation" are those government force " people to help others"?

Thank you.

I edited my original explanation a bit to make it clearer. In short, I think you're not yet seeing what (D) is talking about. (D) is about definitions: does taxation = forcing people to help others. There's no disagreement about definitions in the stimulus, the disagreement is about whether the government has the right to do all of that.

renata.gomez
Thanks Received: 1
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

by renata.gomez Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:14 pm

Hi,

I see how B is right, but Im still having trouble eliminating D. I thought it was correct because Raphaela thinks that the government forces people to help others when they redistribute resources Via taxation, and Edward would disagree and say that they're not being forced to help others in that situation because the government doesn't force them to stay under their rule. they could just leave, so they're not being "forced".

I would greatly appreciate another explanation.

Thank you!

I actually just realized that the first sentence of Edward's counter states what they disagree about: Whether the govt has "the right", not the actions of the government.

anurag111284
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by anurag111284 Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:23 am

renata.gomez Wrote:Hi,

I see how B is right, but Im still having trouble eliminating D. I thought it was correct because Raphaela thinks that the government forces people to help others when they redistribute resources Via taxation, and Edward would disagree and say that they're not being forced to help others in that situation because the government doesn't force them to stay under their rule. they could just leave, so they're not being "forced".

I would greatly appreciate another explanation.

Thank you!

I actually just realized that the first sentence of Edward's counter states what they disagree about: Whether the govt has "the right", not the actions of the government.

D says: "Any government that redistributes resources via taxation forces people to help others."

This statement implies that the government has succeeded in taxing, at least some people, and redistributing resources.

But if a government follows Edward's rule, then those who don't agree to government taxation would emigrate. The government would thus not 'suceed' in taxing such people.

Hence the situation envisaged in D would not materialize in an 'Edwardian' government.

Thus there is no disagreement b/w Raphaela and Edward in respect of D.

Hope this helps.

wxpttbh
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by wxpttbh Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:17 am

I eliminate all choices including "emigration". I think Raphaela had no mention about emigration, so we can not infer his idea about emigration. :shock: .

HondaC94
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by HondaC94 Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:59 am

Same. I eliminated A B and E at first because Raphaela doesn't talk about the emigration issue. Can anybody help me with it?

krisk743
Thanks Received: 2
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

by krisk743 Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:47 pm

Hey admins, answer the last two questions about how Raphaela doesn't bring up permitting emigration. It's too large of an assumption to think Raphaela also believes the government permits emigration. Even if it is the same government...

JosephV
Thanks Received: 9
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

by JosephV Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:13 am

krisk743 Wrote:Hey admins, answer the last two questions about how Raphaela doesn't bring up permitting emigration. It's too large of an assumption to think Raphaela also believes the government permits emigration. Even if it is the same government...

First, man ain't you cocky!!!

You're right, it probably is too large of an assumption to say that Raphaela also believes that the government permits emigration. Who knows what she really thinks any way? However, we know what she says and that is that "no government has the right to redistribute resources via taxation." That "no government" implicitly includes a government which permits emigration.

Therefore, Raphaela would disagree with (B), whereas Edward would agree with (B) , hence (B) is the right answer.

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3806
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ohthatpatrick Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:35 pm

Thanks, Joseph. (fyi --- admins are only supposed to be answering posts by blue/green students or if a yellow student starts a thread).

You'll see this on ID the Disagreement and even on some Inference questions. If we've been given a categorical statement, we often can judge new/unfamiliar particulars, as long as they fall under the umbrella of the categorical statement.

Suppose R said this:

RAPHAELA: No clown has the right to smash the Pope with a pie in the face.

Do we know how she would feel about this claim?
Any clown that has gone to Catholic school or has served for at least 10 years as a janitor at the Vatican has the right to smash the Pope with a pie in the face

YES, WE DO! We know she would disagree, even though she never discussed Catholic school or being a Vatican janitor.