mymansupa
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

Q12 - Some people claim that the reason

by mymansupa Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:03 am

Can someone please expalin to me why (A) is the answer. They wording to these answers are very deceptive. I guess I just have to see more of these question types to get better at them.

cyruswhittaker
Thanks Received: 107
Forum Guests

This post thanked 1 time.

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
First Responder

Re: Q12 - Some people claim that the reason

by cyruswhittaker Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:02 pm

I suggest working from "wrong to right" on questions you're having difficulty with. Some of these questions are worded in weird ways, and rather spending a lot of time figuring out exactly why it's correct (note: I do not mean to imply that you should not figure it out while studying, just during the exam itself), focus on eliminating the wrong answers first.

Breakdown of the Argument:

The argument presents an opposing point "some people..." and then proceeds to provide premises that present the author's conclusion, an alternative explanation for why herbs are not prescribed: not because of the lack of evidence regarding effectiveness, but rather because it can't be offered for sale due to the high expense of regulatory approval, combined with laws around patenting.

(A) accurately reflects the argumentative technique. The author questions a claim about why herbs are not prescribed, and presents another explanation (see above) that is different from the opposing explanation (first sentence of passage).

Wrong Choices:

(B) Arg. never attacks "validity" of competing claim
(C) Arg. never attacks the opposing position by discussing an "inconsistency"
(D) Arg. presents merely two possible explanations, not "all" of them.
(E) Arg. does not test a theory.

giladedelman
Thanks Received: 833
LSAT Geek

Re: PT 33, S3, Q12 - Some people claim that the reason herbs

by giladedelman Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:58 pm

Another great explanation! I would add that working from wrong to right should always be your approach on Logical Reasoning.