romanmuffin
Thanks Received: 1
Forum Guests

Q7 - A certain moral system holds

by romanmuffin Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:53 pm

I chose A, because it had the two components of "performing good actions out of habit" and "resisting temptation." E is the only other answer choice with the two components, but I didn't think comparing how often a person does one over the other mattered. Can someone break this down?

peg_city
Thanks Received: 3
Forum Guests

trophy
First Responder

Re: Q7 - A certain moral system holds

by peg_city Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:48 pm

X2. I could also use some help on this one. This was a difficult question to make inferences.

Performing good actions is praiseworthy -> overcome a powerful temptation
Performing good actions out of habit <s> praiseworthy

The only logic inference I can make is "Performing good actions out of habit <-s> overcome a powerful temptation

I don't have my Manhattan book on me at the moment. Does often=sometimes? If so, we have a winner. Is this right?

timmydoeslsat
Thanks Received: 887
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 2 times.

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
First Responder

Re: Q7 - A certain moral system holds

by timmydoeslsat Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:58 pm

You are exactly right peg_city. Often does entail sometimes. We do not know that it is most necessarily, thus we use sometimes.

We know that we have these two statements in the stimulus.

Performing good actions is praiseworthy ---> Overcomes powerful temptation to perform the action

Performing good actions out of habit SOME Praiseworthy

Thus, we can conclude that some habit is overcome powerful temptation to perform the action.

The construct is:

A ---> B

A some C

So we know some C are B

We need to resolve the apparent conflict, which is that a habit is considered praiseworthy, when we are told that praiseworthy must be something that had an overcoming of a powerful temptation. So we know we have to have that situation occurring with the habit.

A) Shows us that those who perform good actions out of habit had to overcome the temptation.

E on the other hand does not tell us that the habit group has a component of overcoming temptation. A relative comparison between the two groups will not help anything.