redcobra21
Thanks Received: 4
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

Q13 - Treasure hunter: In general, archeological

by redcobra21 Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:14 pm

Hey guys

Had a question about #13.

I'm still a bit confused about why (B) is correct. The answer choice says "in what sense an ancient shipwreck can be said to be in peril," but I have no idea how we know what the treasure hunter's opinion is on this. The treasure hunter says that old maritime law applies to a "ship in peril," but how is this the same thing as a "shipwreck in peril?" Something doesn't strike me as correct about this characterization. I understand how a law would talk about a ship in peril, but why would a law apply to a shipwreck in peril, which doesn't even make much sense to me? (it's kind of like making a jump from law applying to a "car in danger" to a "car accident in danger" - why would they make a law about a "car accident in danger?"). The treasure hunter goes on to say how they are able to collect the cargo, but again, I'm not sure how you know anything about "shipwreck in peril" because he is basing this off a law about a "ship in peril."

Thanks

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3807
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 2 times.

Re: Q13 - Treasure hunter: In general, archeological

by ohthatpatrick Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:41 pm

The cognitive dissonance you're having about applying "ship in peril" to an ancient shipwreck is EXACTLY what the 2nd person is talking about! :)

The law states that if you risk your life to rescue a ship in peril (for example, a ship on fire or a sinking ship), then you get to claim the cargo you salvage.

The treasure hunter says that this law entitles him to claim cargo from ships that sunk to the bottom of the sea (that's what a shipwreck means), as long as he risked his life to get the cargo.

The archaeologist is like, "Buddy, there are two parts to that law:
1. risked your life
2. trying to rescue a ship in peril

I'll grant you that you're risking your life swimming down to these wrecked ships. But how on earth can you call a ship that is laying on the sea floor a 'ship in peril'? It's been sitting their for centuries. The crew is gone or dead and the ship isn't sinking. It's just resting on the sea floor."

It sounded like you were getting confused thinking that "shipwreck" is being used as an action noun to describe two ships crashing into each other.

Let me know if you still have questions.