Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
asker
Prospective Students

In recent years, scholars of psychology have begun

by asker Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:27 pm

"In recent years, scholars of psychology have begun to examine more seriously the notion, first proposed by John Keats, of ""negative capability""—the idea that maintaining calmness amid uncertainty and doubt, rather than experiencing an anxious urge to find solutions, is a genuine talent and possibly even a therapeutic tool.
A. In recent years, scholars of psychology have begun to examine more seriously the notion, first proposed by John Keats, of ""negative capability""—the
B. Proposed first by John Keats, the notion of ""negative capability,"" which scholars of psychology began to examine more seriously in recent years: this is the
C. The notion of ""negative capability,"" which John Keats first proposed and scholars of psychology recently began to take more seriously—the
D. Proposed first by John Keats, and recently scholars of psychology began to take it more seriously, the notion of ""negative capability"" is the
E. First proposed by John Keats, scholars of psychology have recently begun to take the notion of ""negative capability"" more seriously; this is the "

OA: E

My two different way of thinking:

From a video in Thursday with Ron:
my take-away is: if there is only one dash in the sentence, it should run until the end of the sentence, and serve as a comma, so if there is only one dash, and any option with "dash+sentence" is automatically wrong. So I eliminate A at the first glance, which is essentially the right answer.

Another understanding of the Thursday with Ron:
1. Two Dash
1.1 dash + emphasizing phrase + dash
1.2 dash + emphasizing sentence + dash
1.3 dash + clarified phrase + dash
1.4 dash + clarified sentence + dash
2. Sentence + dash (Must be sentence before dash???)
2.1 dash + emphasizing phrase
2.2 dash + emphasizing sentence
2.3 dash + clarified phrase
2.4 dash + clarified sentence

The above 8 combination are all correct.

So, between my understanding of ① and ②, which one indeed is right?