Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
herogmat
Students

Now that so much data travels via light

by herogmat Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:21 pm

Now that so much data travels via light"”i.e., is carried in glass fibers rather than by electrical current"”one goal of semiconductor research is to develop a silicon chip that can transmit and receive light signals directly, a development that mav one dav lead to smaller, faster semiconductors.
A. to develop a silicon chip that can transmit and receive light signals directly, a development that may one day lead
B. to develop a silicon chip with the capability of transmitting and receiving light signals directly, which may one day lead
C. the development of a silicon chip that has the capability of transmitting and receiving light signals directly, a development maybe one day leading
D. developing a silicon chip that can transmit and receive light signals directly, which may one day lead
E. developing a silicon chip with the ability to transmit and receive light signals directly, with this development maybe one day leading

OA is A.
Can somebody clarify what type of gramatical construction is "...light signals directly, a development ..."

Source : GMAT Prep
sanyalpritish
Students

Re: Now that so much data travels via light

by sanyalpritish Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:56 am

Hi,

I don,t think the problem actually lies with Directly...
1. Tense problem using "has" means Prresent Perfect some thing that has started, use of "can" means future. Future is what the sent. talking about.
2. The second half of the sent.. "a development maybe one day leading" is awakward and "leading" is wrong usage here it is nt used a Gernurd here and it is suppporting the use of "can" which is wrong
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:14 pm

herogmat Wrote:Can somebody clarify what type of gramatical construction is "...light signals directly, a development ..."

that's a "comma + abstract noun" setup. it probably has some sort of grammatical name, but i have absolutely no idea what that name is.

--

COMMA + ABSTRACT NOUN is allowed to stand for the ENTIRE IDEA OF THE PRECEDING CLAUSE.

examples:

the coach tried to put 5 receivers on the line, a strategy that failed.
--> here, "a strategy" (an ABSTRACT noun) stands for the WHOLE IDEA of putting 5 receivers on the line.

X observed large concentrations of metals in the sediments, findings consistent with...
in this case, "findings" (an abstract noun) stands for the WHOLE IDEA of observing large concentrations of blah blah blah.

etc.

on the other hand,
COMMA + CONCRETE NOUN usually stands for the DIRECTLY PRECEDING NOUN.

compare:
i went to the bar with john smith, a consultant in los angeles.
here, "a consultant" (a CONCRETE noun) refers ONLY to "john smith" (the preceding noun).

i went to the bar with john smith, an excursion that was much more fun than working all night.
here, "an excursion" (an ABSTRACT noun) stands for the WHOLE IDEA of going to the bar with john smith.

--

your construction is like the first couple in these examples.
herogmat
Students

by herogmat Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:29 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:
herogmat Wrote:Can somebody clarify what type of gramatical construction is "...light signals directly, a development ..."

that's a "comma + abstract noun" setup. it probably has some sort of grammatical name, but i have absolutely no idea what that name is.

--

COMMA + ABSTRACT NOUN is allowed to stand for the ENTIRE IDEA OF THE PRECEDING CLAUSE.

examples:

the coach tried to put 5 receivers on the line, a strategy that failed.
--> here, "a strategy" (an ABSTRACT noun) stands for the WHOLE IDEA of putting 5 receivers on the line.

X observed large concentrations of metals in the sediments, findings consistent with...
in this case, "findings" (an abstract noun) stands for the WHOLE IDEA of observing large concentrations of blah blah blah.

etc.

on the other hand,
COMMA + CONCRETE NOUN usually stands for the DIRECTLY PRECEDING NOUN.

compare:
i went to the bar with john smith, a consultant in los angeles.
here, "a consultant" (a CONCRETE noun) refers ONLY to "john smith" (the preceding noun).

i went to the bar with john smith, an excursion that was much more fun than working all night.
here, "an excursion" (an ABSTRACT noun) stands for the WHOLE IDEA of going to the bar with john smith.

--

your construction is like the first couple in these examples.

Thanks Ron.
tankobe
Prospective Students

by tankobe Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:28 pm

sanyalpritish Wrote:Hi,

1. Tense problem using "has" means Prresent Perfect some thing that has started, use of "can" means future. Future is what the sent. talking about.
2. The second half of the sent.. "a development maybe one day leading" is awakward and "leading" is wrong usage here it is nt used a Gernurd here and it is suppporting the use of "can" which is wrong

in B, capability of doing is also wrong idiom.
stephen
aicpa.lucas
Forum Guests

by aicpa.lucas Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:21 am

tankobe Wrote:
sanyalpritish Wrote:Hi,

in B, capability of doing is also wrong idiom.

My opinion; with/has/have the capability of doing something = with the ability to do something are idioms..however, "can do something" is comparatively concise compared to the above-mentioned two idioms
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:47 am

aicpa.lucas Wrote:My opinion; with/has/have the capability of doing something = with the ability to do something are idioms..however, "can do something" is comparatively concise compared to the above-mentioned two idioms

don't forget that concision, by itself, is never going to be the only criterion for the elimination of a wrong answer. especially when you deal with idioms, you really don't want to be using concision: after all, idioms are either correct or incorrect, regardless of how concise they are.

the only major difference that i can posit between "can" and "has/have the ability..." is that the latter is generally used only for humans or other living animals, while "can" can be used either for humans/animals or for inanimate objects.

for instance, both of the following are correct:
this dog can speak english.
this dog has the ability to speak english.

however:
this clock can keep time so accurately that it will be off by less than a second at the end of an entire year. --> correct

this clock has the ability to keep time so accurately that it will be off by less than a second at the end of an entire year. --> incorrect (a clock is not a living animal, so this is inappropriate)
davetzulin
Forum Guests

by davetzulin Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:47 pm

this is from one of the wrong answer choices:

development maybe one day leading

am i correct in assuming that "maybe one day" is an adverb modifying the modifier "leading"? then can I also assume that the touch rule for noun modifiers has the exception of an intervening adverb?

kind of the same thing with an appositive that has an intervening adjective.

my cat Luna, a black tabby, is fat.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:54 am

dave, as a rule you can pretty much ignore adverbs and adjectives when you consider grammar stuff. so, yes.
jp.jprasanna
Students

by jp.jprasanna Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:43 am

RonPurewal Wrote:
aicpa.lucas Wrote:My opinion; with/has/have the capability of doing something = with the ability to do something are idioms..however, "can do something" is comparatively concise compared to the above-mentioned two idioms

don't forget that concision, by itself, is never going to be the only criterion for the elimination of a wrong answer. especially when you deal with idioms, you really don't want to be using concision: after all, idioms are either correct or incorrect, regardless of how concise they are.

the only major difference that i can posit between "can" and "has/have the ability..." is that the latter is generally used only for humans or other living animals, while "can" can be used either for humans/animals or for inanimate objects.

for instance, both of the following are correct:
this dog can speak english.
this dog has the ability to speak english.

however:
this clock can keep time so accurately that it will be off by less than a second at the end of an entire year. --> correct

this clock has the ability to keep time so accurately that it will be off by less than a second at the end of an entire year. --> incorrect (a clock is not a living animal, so this is inappropriate)

Ron -

In option B - meaning wise the below is fine right
a silicon chip with the capability of transmitting and receiving light signals
So this part is wrong because of the idiom "Capability of" correct? It should "Capability to"
Similarly In option C-
a silicon chip that has the capability of transmitting and receiving light signals
Meaning wise the above is sound but the same idiom error as in B right?

I understand there are other problem in these 2 ans choice but just wanted to clear the idiom part.... I strait knocked of this ans choice because of the idioms.

So if the above statements are right then
"capability of"
"capability in"
"ability of"
"ability in"
are unidiomatic - the corrects ones are
capability to
ability to
capable of
able to

In answer choice E this part --->"a silicon chip with the ability to transmit and receive light signals"
Both the meaning and the idioms are correct right?

Cheers
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

by thanghnvn Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:40 am

Thank you Ron, Manhantan experts,

I never choose C but choose A. But why C is wrong?, pls, help.
ebernal
Course Students

by ebernal Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:51 pm

thanghnvn Wrote:Thank you Ron, Manhantan experts,

To me C seems to be saying that one goal of the research is the development. Which isn't true - one goal of the research is to develop...

Is this wrong?
davetzulin
Forum Guests

by davetzulin Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:56 pm

ebernal Wrote:
thanghnvn Wrote:Thank you Ron, Manhantan experts,

To me C seems to be saying that one goal of the research is the development. Which isn't true - one goal of the research is to develop...

Is this wrong?

on the surface the concision for the "can" vs "with the capability" was the best reason I had for eliminating C since it was down to A and C.

now that i look closer, i guess you can prefer verb to adjective. V-A-N principle

a development maybe one day leading
a development that may one day lead
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

by thanghnvn Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:51 am

Though I choose C. I do not understand the structure of A. Pls, tell me "one goal of semiconductor research" modify what.

Thank you.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon May 07, 2012 2:51 am

thanghnvn Wrote:Though I choose C. I do not understand the structure of A. Pls, tell me "one goal of semiconductor research" modify what.

Thank you.

hmm?
that's the principal subject of the whole sentence. it's not a modifier.