Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
rschunti

Those skeptical of the extent of global warming argue that s

by rschunti Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:20 pm

Those skeptical of the extent of global warming argue that short-term temperature data are an inadequate means of predicting long-term trends and point out that the scientific community remains divided on whether significant warming will occur and what impact will it have if it does.
A. on whether significant warming will occur and what impact will it have if it does.
B. on whether warming that occurs will be significant and the impact it would have.
C. as to whether significant warming will occur or the impact it would have if it did.
D. over whether there will be significant warming or the impact it will have.
E. over whether significant warming will occur and what impact it would have

This is a GMATPREP2 question.
What is the correct answer and errors in other choices?
Saurabh Malpani

by Saurabh Malpani Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:12 pm

It should be either B or E but now sure which is the correct one?

On the exam day i would have picked B.

I think something to do with IDIOM.

Saurabh Malpani
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:53 am

hmm... i like (a) best, but only if it was supposed to say 'it will', and you mis-typed it as 'will it'. if the version you've typed is indeed faithful to the original, then, well, all the choices suck.

reasons:
- 'whether...' and 'what impact...' are parallel.
- the meaning is correct.
- the tenses are parallel: 'will occur' || 'will have'.

choice b:
- the original sentence clearly indicates that scientists don't know whether warming will occur in the first place. this wording, though, assumes that warming will occur; according to this sentence, the only thing in doubt is the extent of such warming.
- 'whether...' is not parallel to 'impact'.

choice c:
- 'as to' is dicey.
- 'or' should be 'and' (because they're wondering about both questions).
- past tense 'did' is inappropriate.

choice d:
- 'or' should be 'and'.
- 'whether...' isn't parallel to 'the impact'.

choice e:
- tense inconsistency: 'will occur' isn't parallel to 'would have'. moreover, 'would have' isn't appropriate for the consequences of something that hasn't even happened yet.

what's the oa?
GK

by GK Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:46 am

RPurewal Wrote:hmm... i like (a) best, but only if it was supposed to say 'it will', and you mis-typed it as 'will it'. if the version you've typed is indeed faithful to the original, then, well, all the choices suck.

reasons:
- 'whether...' and 'what impact...' are parallel.
- the meaning is correct.
- the tenses are parallel: 'will occur' || 'will have'.

choice b:
- the original sentence clearly indicates that scientists don't know whether warming will occur in the first place. this wording, though, assumes that warming will occur; according to this sentence, the only thing in doubt is the extent of such warming.
- 'whether...' is not parallel to 'impact'.

choice c:
- 'as to' is dicey.
- 'or' should be 'and' (because they're wondering about both questions).
- past tense 'did' is inappropriate.

choice d:
- 'or' should be 'and'.
- 'whether...' isn't parallel to 'the impact'.

choice e:
- tense inconsistency: 'will occur' isn't parallel to 'would have'. moreover, 'would have' isn't appropriate for the consequences of something that hasn't even happened yet.

what's the oa?

Ron, can you please explain the following about choice A (I have used 'it will' instead of 'will it' for sake of argument):

A. on whether significant warming will occur and what impact it will have if it does.

Because 'it' can only refer to a noun and not to a sentence, how can the second 'it' be correct? Isn't choice A reading: 'on whether significant warming will occur and what impact this warming will have if this warming does.' --> which is incorrect...

Please provide some insight. Thanks.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:14 am

GK Wrote:Ron, can you please explain the following about choice A (I have used 'it will' instead of 'will it' for sake of argument):

A. on whether significant warming will occur and what impact it will have if it does.

Because 'it' can only refer to a noun and not to a sentence, how can the second 'it' be correct? Isn't choice A reading: 'on whether significant warming will occur and what impact this warming will have if this warming does.' --> which is incorrect...

Please provide some insight. Thanks.

warming is what's called a gerund here; gerunds are '-ing' forms of verbs that count as nouns. since the gerund counts as a noun, it's an adequate antecedent for 'it'.

hope that helps. if you want more examples, go ahead and post a reply saying so.
vietst

by vietst Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:52 pm

I see this question today.
OA is E.
Could you explain more?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:56 am

vietst Wrote:I see this question today.
OA is E.
Could you explain more?

ok, well: if choice a actually has the original wording posted at the beginning of this thread ('will it' instead of 'it will'), then it's definitely wrong. 'will it' is only ok in the context of a question ('will it rain tomorrow?'), and can't be used as a noun phrase.

process of elimination:
first, i hope it's clear that we want AND, not OR. according to the context of the problem, the scientific community is divided on both of these issues (you don't get a choice between them), so 'and' makes more sense than 'or'.

that leaves choices b and e.

use PARALLELISM to resolve that dilemma:
choice b uses whether... and the impact in parallel.
choice e uses whether... and what impact... in parallel.
thus, choice e has better parallelism.
(incidentally, the same parallelism issue can also be used to get rid of answers c and d, the ones containing 'or')

hope that helps.

we can justify 'would' here by saying that it's a case of the subjunctive mood, which isn't often used in contexts like this one. they're using 'would' instead of 'will' because the occurrence whose consequences are being considered is hypothetical.
alterator

E is still not clear

by alterator Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:24 am

Hi Ron,
I still feel E is ambiguous. It says - whether significant warming will occur and what impact it would have (if it occurred or if it didn't occur) ??
Can you please clarify how its not ambiguous in meaning ?
RonPurewal
Students

Re: E is still not clear

by RonPurewal Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:51 am

alterator Wrote:Hi Ron,
I still feel E is ambiguous. It says - whether significant warming will occur and what impact it would have (if it occurred or if it didn't occur) ??
Can you please clarify how its not ambiguous in meaning ?

the most important way in which i can answer this comment is to point out that it doesn't matter whether you 'feel' that (e) is ambiguous; the official answer is that it isn't, so you should reframe your concept of ambiguity to fit in line with theirs (at least until you take the test).

but:
i'm with them on this one.
the 'it' refers to the event in question (significant warming), so it's clear that 'would have' refers to the event in which the significant warming DOES happen.

whenever you're questioning this sort of ambiguity, it can help to construct ANALOGIES. here is one:
having never seen a tornado, i have no idea of the impact it could have on my house.
same idea: this sentence very clearly refers to the impact of a tornado that actually happens!
it would be absurd to talk about the impact of an EVENT that DOESN'T happen. if you want to refer to the effects of the absence of something, then you need to rephrase the statement to express that idea more clearly (i.e., using words such as 'absence', 'lack', etc.)
syxphoebe
Forum Guests

Re:

by syxphoebe Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:03 am

RonPurewal Wrote:
vietst Wrote:I see this question today.
OA is E.
Could you explain more?

use PARALLELISM to resolve that dilemma:
choice b uses whether... and the impact in parallel.
choice e uses whether... and what impact... in parallel.
thus, choice e has better parallelism.
(incidentally, the same parallelism issue can also be used to get rid of answers c and d, the ones containing 'or')

hi,Ron
can you explain why whether... and what impact... in parallel.?
i can not get it.
thx in advance
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Those skeptical of the extent of global warming argue that s

by StaceyKoprince Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:57 pm

"whether" and "what" are the same category of word. WHETHER (some event will happen) and WHAT (impact that event will have).
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
mithra
Course Students

by mithra Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:40 pm

in choice b;
"B. on whether warming that occurs will be significant and the impact it would have "

can 'whether' be understood for the 2nd paralleism after 'and', like in some case we do with 'that' or 'to' ?

""whether warming that occurs will be significant and (whether) the impact it would have "

I actually eliminated b over e based on wordy "warming that occurs will ".."that' here seemed wordy, but it also seemed parallel to "it".
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:28 pm

mithra Wrote:in choice b;
"B. on whether warming that occurs will be significant and the impact it would have "

can 'whether' be understood for the 2nd paralleism after 'and', like in some case we do with 'that' or 'to' ?

""whether warming that occurs will be significant and (whether) the impact it would have "

two things:

(1) "whether the impact it would have" wouldn't make any sense, because "the impact it would have" is not a clause.

(2) this would change the meaning, anyway.
* if you say "whether NOUN1 VERB1 or NOUN2 VERB2", you are implying that there is an option between NOUN1 VERB1 and NOUN2 VERB2.
* if you say "whether NOUN1 VERB1 or whether NOUN2 VERB2", you are implying two separate sets of possibilities: either NOUN1 VERB1 or not, and, separately, either NOUN2 VERB2 or not.
bhumika.k.shah
Students

by bhumika.k.shah Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:04 am

thanks ron :-)

RonPurewal Wrote:
mithra Wrote:in choice b;

two things:

(1) "whether the impact it would have" wouldn't make any sense, because "the impact it would have" is not a clause.

(2) this would change the meaning, anyway.
* if you say "whether NOUN1 VERB1 or NOUN2 VERB2", you are implying that there is an option between NOUN1 VERB1 and NOUN2 VERB2.
* if you say "whether NOUN1 VERB1 or whether NOUN2 VERB2", you are implying two separate sets of possibilities: either NOUN1 VERB1 or not, and, separately, either NOUN2 VERB2 or not.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu May 13, 2010 6:43 am

sure -- glad it helped.