Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
RonPurewal
Students

Re: another prep sc

by RonPurewal Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:00 pm

in fact, i don't even think it's possible to write a correct formal sentence with past tense + "by [TIME]". so, if you want the easy way out, you can always just memorize this one.
NicoleT643
Students

by NicoleT643 Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:20 am

Hi Ron, sorry to reopen this thread, I just want to learn from the correct answer about the usage of "being"
As Tim mentioned, being is omitted from the answer. I have two observations
1, comma + being modifies the previous noun, such usage is the same as that of "comma+including". Both are different from other comma+Ving which modifiers the action of the previous clause
2, without being in the clause, the meaning of the last part of the sentence is the same, therefore even omitting being will not change meaning

Are my observations correct? Thanks
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:54 am

comma + being modifies the previous noun, such usage is the same as that of "comma+including".

^^ this is not true. where are you getting this idea?

(remember that's a WRONG answer choice!)
chengkeh798
Prospective Students

by chengkeh798 Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:18 am

RonPurewal Wrote:"by 1945" is a totally different animal.
that construction is specifically used for exactly the same kinds of context where "has/have __ed" and "had __ed" are appropriate:
• completion of an action by a certain point
• ongoing action up to a certain point

this post contains a bit more detail about the intent of those two tenses. it goes well beyond what you need to know for this exam, but may nonetheless be illustrative.
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... tml#p58397

Hi, Ron, I am still confused about the past perfect tense. Here is how i understand this problem
In the By structure (or within structure, in the last structure), it indicates the action start from a past point and lasts to the time marker
ex
By 1999, astronomers had discovered 17 nearby planets. ('by 1999' indicates a time from the past to 1999 (1999 included))

however, for the until structure, the meaning is subtly different
The sale will continue until 9 pm
Moment 9 P.M. and the sale stops
I suppose 'until' means the action is ended just at the time marker, so it can not use the perfect tense except there is a second past situation to which the first is relevant.
ex
I had been a high-school teacher until 2004. incorrect
but
I had been a high-school teacher until 2004, but i changed my job in 2004. i suppose this sentence is correct
Is my understanding right?Thank you so much
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:53 am

no, the last sentence should use "was", just like the head problem in this thread.

...but, that doesn't matter, because of what you wrote here:
however ... the meaning is subtly different

^^ those words, right there, mean that YOU SHOULD IGNORE THIS WHOLE ISSUE ENTIRELY.

• verb tenses are a VERY MINOR TOPIC on this exam.

• if verb tenses are actually necessary to solve a SC problem, then, think ONLY about VERY MAJOR differences
—usually, differences between a reasonable meaning and an absolutely absurd meaning (e.g., past vs. future tense, for an event that happened in 1926).

• DO NOT EVER think about SMALL or SUBTLE differences in verb tenses!
these WILL NOT be necessary. if you find yourself paying attention to one of these small differences, IGNORE IT and GO FIND A MORE OBVIOUS / MORE FUNDAMENTAL ISSUE!
(if these subtle differences were necessary, then, the test would become slanted toward native speakers of english -- who tend to make correct decisions verb tenses by pure subconscious intuition, since verb tenses are THE one thing that's pretty much identical between educated speech and formal writing..)
chengkeh798
Prospective Students

by chengkeh798 Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:25 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:no, the last sentence should use "was", just like the head problem in this thread.

...but, that doesn't matter, because of what you wrote here:
however ... the meaning is subtly different

^^ those words, right there, mean that YOU SHOULD IGNORE THIS WHOLE ISSUE ENTIRELY.

• verb tenses are a VERY MINOR TOPIC on this exam.

• if verb tenses are actually necessary to solve a SC problem, then, think ONLY about VERY MAJOR differences
—usually, differences between a reasonable meaning and an absolutely absurd meaning (e.g., past vs. future tense, for an event that happened in 1926).

• DO NOT EVER think about SMALL or SUBTLE differences in verb tenses!
these WILL NOT be necessary. if you find yourself paying attention to one of these small differences, IGNORE IT and GO FIND A MORE OBVIOUS / MORE FUNDAMENTAL ISSUE!
(if these subtle differences were necessary, then, the test would become slanted toward native speakers of english -- who tend to make correct decisions verb tenses by pure subconscious intuition, since verb tenses are THE one thing that's pretty much identical between educated speech and formal writing..)

Ok, I get it. I also feel I spend too much time figuring out the subtle things instead of the main problems. I need to use my time more efficiently. Thank you so much, Ron! You really deserve your reputations in China
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:36 am

you're welcome.

do i have a reputation there?
•__________•
chengkeh798
Prospective Students

by chengkeh798 Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:15 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:you're welcome.

do i have a reputation there?
•__________•

Yeah, of course, actually I think you are the most famous GMAT instructor in China. We really learn a lot from "Thursdays wIth Ron" and the posts in the forums.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:20 pm

ah, cool, thanks for the kind words.