Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
divineacclivity
Forum Guests

CR boldface: Shunning the use of titles

by divineacclivity Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:23 am

Business Consultant: Some corporations shun the use of executive titles because they fear that the use of titles
indicating position in the corporation tends to inhibit communication up and down the corporate
hierarchy. Since an executive who uses a title is treated with more respect by outsiders, however, use of a title
can facilitate an executive’s dealings with external businesses. The obvious compromise is for these
executives to use their corporate titles externally but not internally, since even if it is widely known that the
corporation’s executives use executive titles outside their organization, this knowledge does not by itself inhibit
communication within the corporation. In the consultant’s reasoning, the two portions in boldface play which of
the following roles?
A. The first presents an obstacle to achieving a certain goal; the second presents a reason for considering that goal
to be undesirable.
B. The first is a consideration that has led to the adoption of a certain strategy; the second presents a reason against
adopting that strategy.
C. The first describes a concern that the consultant dismisses as insignificant; the second is a consideration that
serves as the basis for that dismissal.
D. The first is a belief for which the consultant offers support; the second is part of that support.
E. The first is a belief against which evidence is offered; the second is part of the evidence offered against that belief.

Source: CR 700-800

IMO, the answer should be B but the OA is A.

My reason for B:
Goal: Sunning the use of tites
Boldface1: "some corporates fear that the use of titles inhibits communication" - consideration that led to the load
Boldface2: but titles required for business with external parties --> clearly a reason against adopting the strategy/goal

Choice A contradicts the two statements within this answer about the two boldface lines. It says the first if the obstacle in achieving the goal => this means goal can't be "shunning the titles" as the first boldface sees "the use of titles" as a problem
whereas in the second part of choice A says that the goal is undesirable for it is used externally i.e. "shunning the title is undesirable". So, A is totally wrong :(
Willy
Course Students

Re: CR boldface: Shunning the use of titles

by Willy Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:28 am

divineacclivity Wrote:Business Consultant: Some corporations shun the use of executive titles because they fear that the use of titles
indicating position in the corporation tends to inhibit communication up and down the corporate
hierarchy. Since an executive who uses a title is treated with more respect by outsiders, however, use of a title
can facilitate an executive’s dealings with external businesses. The obvious compromise is for these
executives to use their corporate titles externally but not internally, since even if it is widely known that the
corporation’s executives use executive titles outside their organization, this knowledge does not by itself inhibit
communication within the corporation. In the consultant’s reasoning, the two portions in boldface play which of
the following roles?
A. The first presents an obstacle to achieving a certain goal; the second presents a reason for considering that goal
to be undesirable.
B. The first is a consideration that has led to the adoption of a certain strategy; the second presents a reason against
adopting that strategy.
C. The first describes a concern that the consultant dismisses as insignificant; the second is a consideration that
serves as the basis for that dismissal.
D. The first is a belief for which the consultant offers support; the second is part of that support.
E. The first is a belief against which evidence is offered; the second is part of the evidence offered against that belief.

Source: CR 700-800

IMO, the answer should be B but the OA is A.

My reason for B:
Goal: Sunning the use of tites
Boldface1: "some corporates fear that the use of titles inhibits communication" - consideration that led to the load
Boldface2: but titles required for business with external parties --> clearly a reason against adopting the strategy/goal

Choice A contradicts the two statements within this answer about the two boldface lines. It says the first if the obstacle in achieving the goal => this means goal can't be "shunning the titles" as the first boldface sees "the use of titles" as a problem
whereas in the second part of choice A says that the goal is undesirable for it is used externally i.e. "shunning the title is undesirable". So, A is totally wrong :(

I can't see the boldface parts. Please highlight or make them boldface.

Also, how did you get to the point that GOAL is "Sunning the use of titles"?

There is no such goal that I can see or there is no such goal other than to find what ROLE boldface parts play on boldface questions.
I Can. I Will.
tim
Course Students

by tim Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:48 pm

As per the forum rules, we need a verifiable source for the problem before we can deal with this question. If the question is not one of ours or one that is copyright-free, we will have to delete the question..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
divineacclivity
Forum Guests

by divineacclivity Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:25 pm

This is CR 700-800 level questions and is freely available on one of the commonly used GMAT authentic sites/forums I've been to I assume. I'll search & let you know which site exactly it is from but I surely didn't download a crack or anything that appeared copy-righted
tim
Course Students

by tim Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:54 pm

be sure to supply a link to the ORIGINAL source when you can. i've seen "CR 700-800" pop up a lot recently and would like to be able to help you with these IF we can determine it's okay to discuss them on our forums and IF we can determine that they're good enough quality questions to be worth your time. we certainly don't want anyone to waste time with questions that aren't going to help them..
Tim Sanders

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
divineacclivity
Forum Guests

by divineacclivity Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:27 pm

Yes, perfect. here is the link i downloaded the questions from:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/download.php
tim
Course Students

by tim Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:35 pm

you're going to have to do more to convince us that this question is legal for us to discuss. just because another website has questions on it does not mean that they are legally posting them. i am not aware of any content that gmatclub writes itself, so until i am informed otherwise anything available from their site will need a further source. please understand we're just trying to obey the law and respect people's intellectual property..
Tim Sanders

divineacclivity
Forum Guests

by divineacclivity Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:58 pm

Sure Tim, I totally understand your point but that's where I got the question from & didn't use any hacks. Thanks anyways for the information.
tim
Course Students

by tim Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:54 pm

okay unfortunately i'm going to have to lock the thread then. please pay attention to the rules in the future and give us correct and legal ORIGINAL sources for the problems. "i got it from a friend/website/black-marketeer" is not a source..
Tim Sanders