Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
ksc311

due to poaching and increased cultivation

by ksc311 Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Can someone explain correct and incorrect answers.

Due to poaching and increased cultivation in their native habitats, researchers have dertermined that there are fewer than 100 Arabian leopards left in the wild, and that these leopards are thus many times as rare as China's giant panda.

a. same

b. due to poaching and increased cultivation in their natvie habitats, there are fewer than 100 Arabian leopards left in the wild, researchers have determined, making them many times more rare than

c. There are fewer than 100 Arabian leopoard left in the wild du to poaching and increased cultivation in their native habitats, researchers have determined, which makes the leopards many times more rare compared to

d. Researchers have determined that, because of being poached and increased cultivation in their native habitats, there are fewer than 100 Arabian leopards left in the wild, thus making them many more times as rare as

e. Researchers have determined that, because of poaching and increased cultivation in thier native habitats, there are fewer than 100 Arabian leopards left in the wild, and that these leopards are thus many times more rare than
rschunti

pls verify OA

by rschunti Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:03 pm

Is the OA -->"E"?
RonPurewal
Students

Re: due to poaching and increased cultivation

by RonPurewal Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:29 am

ksc311 Wrote:Can someone explain correct and incorrect answers.

Due to poaching and increased cultivation in their native habitats, researchers have dertermined that there are fewer than 100 Arabian leopards left in the wild, and that these leopards are thus many times as rare as China's giant panda.

a. same

b. due to poaching and increased cultivation in their natvie habitats, there are fewer than 100 Arabian leopards left in the wild, researchers have determined, making them many times more rare than

c. There are fewer than 100 Arabian leopoard left in the wild du to poaching and increased cultivation in their native habitats, researchers have determined, which makes the leopards many times more rare compared to

d. Researchers have determined that, because of being poached and increased cultivation in their native habitats, there are fewer than 100 Arabian leopards left in the wild, thus making them many more times as rare as

e. Researchers have determined that, because of poaching and increased cultivation in thier native habitats, there are fewer than 100 Arabian leopards left in the wild, and that these leopards are thus many times more rare than

first of all, let it be said that i don't like the mathematical illiteracy of this question: what does 'many times as/more rare' mean? i daresay that's meaningless, although 'many times as/more common' would of course make sense. (as an analogy, 'twice as long' makes perfect sense, but 'twice as short' is nonsense.) i guess the people who write the math questions don't moonlight in verbal...

yikes, i can find errors in all of the choices. i'm guessing that the oa is probably 'e', but they're all bad:

ALL choices:
- plural 'leopards' is not parallel to singular 'panda'
- 'x times as/more rare than' is meaningless, per above comments

choice a
- the modifier that begins the sentence ostensibly refers to researchers, creating the absurd interpretation that poaching and cultivation are occurring in the researchers' habitats.

choice b
- the pronoun 'them' is ambiguous (leopards / researchers)

choice c
- 'compared to' is unidiomatic
- 'which' is used incorrectly (the antecedent of 'which' must be a noun or noun phrase; it can't stand for the idea of the preceding clause, as it tries to here)

choice d
- 'them' and 'their' are both ambiguous
- 'many more times as rare as' is just ... terrible

choice e
- 'their' is ambiguous

i guess 'e' is the best of the lot, but they're all terrible. this is without a doubt the worst gmatprep question i have ever seen.
mojo

by mojo Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:51 am

Ron:
Is "compared to" unidiomatic in general or just in this sentence? Would "compared with" have been ok, if everything else in the sentence were correct?

Thanks.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:28 am

Officially, "compared to" is used to note similarities in different things, and "compared with" is used to note either similarities or differences in similar things.

Which is totally confusing. And the OG breaks this rule numerous times. So don't worry about this rule - note that we can use other things to eliminate C, so use those other things.
:)
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
H

by H Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:41 pm

Couple questions:

- Let's say the pronoun problem in B is fixed. Can I say that B is wrong because "researchers have determined" can only be inserted right behind a noun (phrase) with comma so that it clearly modifies the preceding noun (phrase)? Or there is no such rule?

- When I read B, I wonder whether the following participle phrases are ambiguous:
1. [main clause], which/where/...., [present participle phrase].
2. [main clause], which/where/...., [past participle phrase].

Will the present participle phrase be ambiguous because it probably modifies the preceding [which/where/...] clause or the main clause? Or no, because [which/where...] clause is non-restrictive?
Will the past participle phrase be ambiguous because it probably modifies the object of the main clause or the "last" noun in the [which/where/...] clause?

Thanks in advance.
H

by H Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:51 am

umm...isn't the comparative form of "rare" "rarer"?
If it is, then how come E is correct?
shouldn't "many times more rare than" be rewritten to "many times rarer than"?
thanks.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:45 am

H Wrote:umm...isn't the comparative form of "rare" "rarer"?
If it is, then how come E is correct?
shouldn't "many times more rare than" be rewritten to "many times rarer than"?
thanks.

rarer is certainly considered correct, but so is more rare, for reasons of euphony; i.e., it sounds a lot better, and is easier to pronounce.
rarer, after all, is almost impossible to pronounce correctly for those who aren't blessed with a new england accent.
deadpig1987hahaha
Forum Guests

by deadpig1987hahaha Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:48 am

Ron,
I think the singular "giant panda" is a typo. It is "China's giant pandas" here in the version I got.
deadpig1987hahaha
Forum Guests

by deadpig1987hahaha Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:51 am

choice b
- the pronoun 'them' is ambiguous (leopards / researchers)

choice e
- 'their' is ambiguous

B and E both only have one ambiguous pronoun problem.
Can you explain more why E beats B?

Thanks!
vishalsahdev03
Students

by vishalsahdev03 Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:39 am

This is a really bad one !!

However, I think I got hold of this one, please confirm, my line of reasoning !

a. Due to poaching and increased cultivation in their native habitats, researchers have dertermined that there are fewer than 100 Arabian leopards left in the wild, and that these leopards are thus many times as rare as

If we read it closely it says due to poaching and increased.... researchers have determined....
incorrect logically

b. due to poaching and increased cultivation in their natvie habitats, ________________________________ ,researchers have determined, making them many times more rare than

a modifier gives additional information, this one is incorrect
which is incorrect
compared to is incorrect

being is incorrect
because of says that researches are poached

Left out options (E)
vishalsahdev03
Students

by vishalsahdev03 Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:44 am

Gurus please correct me if I am wrong, in the above reasoning !

Thanks in advance !
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:32 am

mostly correct. here are some things, though.

vishalsahdev03 Wrote:b.
a modifier gives additional information, this one is incorrect

this one is incorrect because it mis-uses a COMMA -ING modifier. those modifiers must:
* modify the entire preceding clause;
* apply to the subject of that clause.
that doesn't happen here.

c.
which is incorrect
compared to is incorrect

"compared to" isn't incorrect by itself; it's incorrect because it's REDUNDANT.

if you use more/less/as much as/etc., then you can't ALSO say "compared to/with".

the correct way to use "compared to/with" is to just cite the numbers.
e.g.,
the unemployment rate was 5.4 percent in october, compared to 4.9 percent in september.

d.
being is incorrect
because of says that researches are poached

"being" isn't ALWAYS wrong. but you can never say "because of VERBing".

be careful, though; "because of -ing" can be ok IF "-ing" is a noun.
for instance, the elephant population is dying out because of poaching is fine, since "poaching" is a noun in that instance.

and it's also ok in (e)!

Left out options (E)

sorry, not quite sure what this means.
Suapplle
Forum Guests

by Suapplle Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:48 pm

sorry to bump up the old thread
Hi,Ron,I have a question.
can "due to" be put at the head of a sentence?
I read a GMAT note,it said that
"due to,similar to,or differing from cannot be used at the head of a sentence." such as in this sentence.
is this a solid rule?please clarify,thanks!
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

by thanghnvn Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:08 am

ksc311 Wrote:Can someone explain correct and incorrect answers.

a. same

I want to make clear the point of "comma+doing" which Ron said about.

in choice D, and similarly in choic B, we have pattern"

"there are fewe than 100 leopards, making them many more times as reae as ..."

because "comma+making them..." must modifier the previous clause and its subject grammartically, we find that there is no logic subject for "making them". the subject in previous clause is "there are", which is not logic to be subject of "making them"

is this point correct?