Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
shriwantchoudhary
Students

How to increase from Q48 to Q50+

by shriwantchoudhary Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:13 pm

Hi,

I took three MGMAT CAT 1,2 & 3 in last 20 days and I got
Q48 in all of them.

My performance in these three CAT's are:

CAT-1 Score Q48
DS 7R, 8W, 0
PS 15R, 6W, 1NA
Q 22R, 14W, 1NA

CAT-2 Score Q48
DS 6R, 9W
PS 16R, 6W
Q 22R, 15W

CAT-3 Score Q48
DS 8R, 7W
PS 15R, 7W
Quants 23R, 14W

I want to improve from my current level to above 50 score in Quants in 2 weeks. Please guide me.

So far I have done OG12, Kaplan Guide, & Kaplan 800 for Quants.

Regards,
SC
himanshu.m1986
Forum Guests

Re: How to increase from Q48 to Q50+

by himanshu.m1986 Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:12 pm

I guess you would need to provide additional detail like section in which you are making mistakes..for ex. I make mistakes in absolute and Mean related problems..

Also make sure you develop a logic for answering questns... few ppl have mentioned here that MGMAT maths is bit more hard and requires extensive calculations...I think MGMAT Q's tests your ability to solve it in a more efficient way..There are few Q for which you dun even need to put a pen on the paper...
For eg. Check this problem from MGMAT test

The ratio of boys to girls in Class A is 3 to 4. The ratio of boys to girls in Class B is 4 to 5. If the two classes were combined, the ratio of boys to girls in the combined class would be 17 to 22. If Class A has one more boy and two more girls than class B, how many girls are in Class A?

A) 8
B) 9
C) 10
D) 11
E) 12

A standard approach would be to get the rations and substitute and calculate the value..But hang on..Just check the options..
No. of gals should be a multiple of 4..(ratio B/G for class A is 3/4) leaves us with option A and E..now class B has 2 less gals..so 6 or 10..now ratio for class B is 4/5 so (ans - 2) should be a multiple of 5..so ans is option E..

Make sure u find your weak link and work on it..Review every Q check the explanation..see if you cud have solved it in less time...Build a strategy..it would give u enough time for solving hard questns...
Two weeks are quite less..But still you can work on it..
Rest I guess MOD's will tell you..
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: How to increase from Q48 to Q50+

by StaceyKoprince Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:46 am

Jumping from ~80th percentile to ~92nd percentile is a big jump - some people could do that in 2 weeks but most people would need more time. I know it's "only" 2 points and doesn't sound like much, but there's a big difference between 80th and 92nd percentile.

In terms of specific content areas, himanshu is right that we would need actual data on your strengths and weaknesses. If you've been taking MGMAT CATs, you can use the below article to analyze your results:

http://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... ice-tests/

If you do have any timing problems at all, this article will help:
http://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... anagement/

Note: you can finish a section on time and yet still have timing problems. Do the analysis described in the first article to see whether you have any timing problems.

You're at the level in quant where you might benefit from our Advanced Quant book (designed for people at about your current level who want to get to 90+). I recommend at least 3 weeks (ideally longer) to do that book. It isn't just telling you "here's what to memorize" - it's really giving you new techniques and new ways of thinking through problems and learning how to get better. You're going to want to apply those lessons to other problems outside of the book as well, so it takes some time to do that properly.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep