Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
jlucero
Forum Guests

Re: If current trends continue, by the year 2010 carbon emission

by jlucero Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:41 am

Let us know if there are any more questions here.
Joe Lucero
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
SC312
Forum Guests

by SC312 Sat May 17, 2014 12:34 am

Ron,

You have mentioned in one of your posts "the two parts of the comparison must have the same grammatical structure".

Does this apply to even prepositional phrases that follow a "than", indicating two parallel comparable things.

I came across this problem (OG Verbal Review -2nd edition-Q 98 ) of "Napolean's army", in which the correct choice doesn't seem to have this parallel structure. Can you please explain how it works in this case ?

Thanks
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun May 18, 2014 8:51 am

SC312, good question.

That observation applies only if the comparison explicitly contains the two items/situations/circumstances being compared.

If one of those two is located elsewhere in the sentence (or is implied), then there is no such requirement.

In the Napoleon example, the comparison is between the Russia campaign and other campaigns.
The mention of Russia occurs outside the actual comparison construction, so there's no requirement of similar structure.

By "implied", I'm talking about sentences like It seems that there is much more traffic than usual. In this sentence, it's "today" vs. "usual situation", but "today" is merely implied (by the present-tense observation). So, nothing to put in parallel here, either.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun May 18, 2014 8:52 am

In general, if you face such nontraditional comparisons"”i.e., comparisons that don't actually involve two parallel structures"”you should look elsewhere for things to eliminate.
The Napoleon problem, for instance, can be solved entirely on the basis of pronoun issues.
SC312
Forum Guests

by SC312 Mon May 19, 2014 1:52 am

Thanks Ron
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon May 19, 2014 4:02 pm

You're welcome.
AbhilashM94
Students

by AbhilashM94 Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:44 am

tim Wrote:ONE reason C is wrong is indeed because the "it" doesn't have a proper antecedent to attach to..

stuck between B & C

In C, what can IT possibly refer to. Everything is plural in the sentence.

I'm confused about pronoun ambiguity - at some times instructors suggest not to pay too much attention to it.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:46 am

You're misunderstanding what "ambiguity" means.

"Pronoun ambiguity" is a situation in which there are two or more legitimate possibilities for the referent of a pronoun"”"”and in which the context doesn't clearly favor one or the other of them.
E.g.,
Brenda was talking to Jane about her husband's friends.
Here, "her husband" could be either Brenda's or Jane's. It's absolutely impossible to tell.

This is "pronoun ambiguity", which the GMAT does not test at all.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:47 am

"Doesn't have an antecedent" has nothing whatsoever to do with "ambiguity". If a pronoun doesn't have an antecedent, then it's wrong.

E.g.,
In Colombia, they eat potatoes daily.
Here, "they" doesn't have an antecedent (= noun). The antecedent is clearly supposed to be "Colombians" or "people in Colombia", but those words are not there. So, "they" is wrong.
SC312
Forum Guests

by SC312 Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:42 am

Ron,
Although I understand why B) is the best option, I wanted to know if the grammatical structure of D) is correct ?

Can we read it like this :

If current trends continue, by the year 2010 carbon emissions in the United States will soar to a level more than one-third higher than those(Carbon emissions of 1990) [did] in 1990, according to official projections.

Thanks
Sudipto
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:32 am

If you have "a level more than 1/3 higher than ____", then "___" needs to be another level.
mybecker
Students

by mybecker Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:23 pm

By "implied", I'm talking about sentences like It seems that there is much more traffic than usual. In this sentence, it's "today" vs. "usual situation", but "today" is merely implied (by the present-tense observation). So, nothing to put in parallel here, either.

Ron, is it better to say:
It seems that there is much more traffic than usually
It seems that there is much greater traffic than usual [traffic]

I trying to understand whether it was a typo :)
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:29 am

Not a typo. "...than usual" is correct.

Try googling "than usual" (with the quotes).

Weird, yes.
benjamindian
Course Students

Re:

by benjamindian Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:47 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:you need 'will', not 'would'. 'would' is used if the hypothetical is in the past tense, while 'will' (future tense) is used if the hypothetical is in the present tense (as is the case here).
compare: if you tell that joke again, i will punch you.
that takes care of the last three answer choices.

Hi Ron,

You once said:
"actually, whenever a situation is purely HYPOTHETICAL, "would" is better than "will", even if the if-clause is rendered in the present tense." (http://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/several-educational-research-groups-are-denouncing-the-mayor-t3772.html)

So I think, in this hypothetical situation, both "will" and "would" are fine. I eliminated A,D, and E, all of them containing plural pronouns, because the author is comparing "a level". Between B and C, C is out because "level" is an object in the first part and thus "it" can't be followed by a verb. So choose B.

Please comment. Thanks!
I'M SO ADJECTIVE, I VERB NOUNS!
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Re:

by RonPurewal Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:25 am

ah, but there's a difference.

in the link, i'm talking about a possibility that is PURELY hypothetical——i.e., something that, given current conditions, can't happen.
Under the proposed law, a driver would lose his/her license for life if he/she is convicted of drunk driving more than once.
currently this can't happen, since the law has only been proposed; it's not actually a law yet.

if this law were passed and went into effect, we would then write Under the new law, a driver will lose his/her license for life if he/she is convicted of drunk driving more than once.
... because now this can actually happen.