Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
ysyanshi
Students

Re: In her 26 years in the forests of Gombe

by ysyanshi Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:12 pm

Hi Instructor,

Can you please tell me if "by imitating and practicing" is better than "by imitation and practice"? I learn from Thursday with Ron that Verbal Nouns are impersonal, and Gerund
Forms convey the idea that the subject is directly involved in the process. Here I think chimpanzees do imitate and practice, so I think use "by imitating and practicing" is better. Please correct me.

I have another question about "from each one to others", "from one to another" and "to others" in the choices. My gut feeling is " from one to another" is better, but why "from each one to others" and " to others" is wrong here?

Thank you!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:52 am

ysyanshi Wrote:Hi Instructor,

Can you please tell me if "by imitating and practicing" is better than "by imitation and practice"? I learn from Thursday with Ron that Verbal Nouns are impersonal, and Gerund
Forms convey the idea that the subject is directly involved in the process. Here I think chimpanzees do imitate and practice, so I think use "by imitating and practicing" is better. Please correct me.

either is acceptable, here. once you've established parallelism, the point is to move on to other criteria.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:54 am

I have another question about "from each one to others", "from one to another" and "to others" in the choices. My gut feeling is " from one to another" is better, but why "from each one to others" and " to others" is wrong here?

Thank you!

this is a distraction.

if you see random changes in word choice -- and you can't decide them /1/ logically or /2/ by referring to something else in the sentence -- then those choices are there just to distract you. ignore them and find something else.
Crisc419
Students

by Crisc419 Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:28 am

RonPurewal Wrote:
RajatG730 Wrote:I don't know if chimpanzees exhibit some behavior because of some reason.

Please confirm.

well, sure you do.

'so that' implies that chimpanzees are actually thinking, 'Hmm... if i exhibit curiosity, then i'll be able to catch on to my fellow chimps' behavior patterns. Hey, that sounds like a great idea! I think I'll do that!"

...no.

In my mind, "so that" also can be used to introduce a surprising result or consequence of an action or one event.

for instance,

The particular design of muscles and bones in the neck and limbs of the turtle allow that it can draw in its exposed parts such that an attacker can find nothing but hard shell to bite.
(A) allow that it can draw in its exposed parts such that
(B) allow it to draw in its exposed parts, and so
(C) allows for it to draw in its exposed parts and that
(D) allows that it can draw in its exposed parts, and so
(E) allows it to draw in its exposed parts, so that (correct choice)

"so that" in correct choice E is used to introduce the result of "allows it to draw in its exposed parts".

In this question, "so that" means: chimpazze exibit the kind of the curiosity, therefore, new patterns and expressions can be passed on. ....
and i am not comforable with "by curiosity new patterns and expressions can be passed on. ....", it sounds weird to me.

what i have missed? please clarify.

Thanks in advance.

Cris
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:49 am

Crisc419 Wrote:In my mind, "so that" also can be used to introduce a surprising result or consequence of an action or one event.

this usage is mostly as you've described here, except for the "surprising" part.
(this construction doesn't imply surprise or unexpectedness—and there's nothing surprising about the example you listed, either.)

__

even if you use that interpretation, though, the words still don't make sense—specifically, we can't use "the" anymore.
"so that" is not a modifier; it connects two independent sentences. so, the problem with using "the" here is that "the" would have to make sense BY ITSELF.

consider the following:
I have the box that you bought yesterday.
I have the box in which the sewing scissors are stored.

vs.
I bought a box, so that you can store your sewing scissors.
--> we CAN'T write "the" here, because "the box" doesn't make any sense by itself.

for the same reason, the choices with "the kind..." and "so that" don't work, either.
Crisc419
Students

by Crisc419 Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:49 am

RonPurewal Wrote:
Crisc419 Wrote:In my mind, "so that" also can be used to introduce a surprising result or consequence of an action or one event.

this usage is mostly as you've described here, except for the "surprising" part.
(this construction doesn't imply surprise or unexpectedness—and there's nothing surprising about the example you listed, either.)

__

even if you use that interpretation, though, the words still don't make sense—specifically, we can't use "the" anymore.
"so that" is not a modifier; it connects two independent sentences. so, the problem with using "the" here is that "the" would have to make sense BY ITSELF.

consider the following:
I have the box that you bought yesterday.
I have the box in which the sewing scissors are stored.

vs.
I bought a box, so that you can store your sewing scissors.
--> we CAN'T write "the" here, because "the box" doesn't make any sense by itself.

for the same reason, the choices with "the kind..." and "so that" don't work, either.

totally understand, Sir, you are awesome,thanks very much.

Cris
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:09 pm

you're welcome.