Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
TooLong150
Forum Guests

Re: Industrialization and modtern methods of insect control have

by TooLong150 Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:36 am

RonPurewal Wrote:ok, wait, i went and looked back at the original problem, and there is no "which" anywhere in any of the choices. hm? why are we discussing a choice that does not even exist?

DO NOT TRY TO "EDIT" GMAC PROBLEMS!
DO NOT INVENT YOUR OWN CHOICES TO THEM!

really, don't, guys.

are there two or more versions of this problem floating around?

Apparently, there are two versions of this problem:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/industrialization-and-modern-methods-of-insect-t17270.html#p74980
http://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/industrialization-and-modtern-methods-of-insect-control-have-t460-45.html#p110349
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:44 am

TooLong150 Wrote:
RonPurewal Wrote:ok, wait, i went and looked back at the original problem, and there is no "which" anywhere in any of the choices. hm? why are we discussing a choice that does not even exist?

DO NOT TRY TO "EDIT" GMAC PROBLEMS!
DO NOT INVENT YOUR OWN CHOICES TO THEM!

really, don't, guys.

are there two or more versions of this problem floating around?

Apparently, there are two versions of this problem:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/industrialization-and-modern-methods-of-insect-t17270.html#p74980
http://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/industrialization-and-modtern-methods-of-insect-control-have-t460-45.html#p110349

hmm. does anyone have a screen shot of the "which" version? that's the one i don't have in my archives.
TooLong150
Forum Guests

by TooLong150 Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:18 am

I don't. Maybe it is safe to assume that the "which" version was just mistranscribed.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:21 am

ok. well, if anyone has an actual screenshot of that version... post up, please! thanks.
michail.palagaschwili
Students

by michail.palagaschwili Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:55 pm

I've answered this one correctly. Here's is my reasoning, I hope it was not just a lucky shot and the errors found are valid.

Industrialization and modtern methods of insect control have improved the standard of living around the globe while at the same time they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having gone virtually unregulated since they were developed more than 50 years ago.

a. while at the same time they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having
Comma + ING-Modifier, modiefies preceding clause. This doesn't make sense here, so incorrect

b. while at the same time introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants that have
Correct by POE. I've seen many such constructions in the gmat questions while+ ING

c. while they have introduced 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants at the same time, and have
1. There is no need to separate an adverbial phrase "at the same time" from its verb.
2. "They" refers to "Industrialization and modtern methods" --> They have not gone virtually unregulated. The later refers to pollutants, so incorrect.

d. but introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants at the same time that
I'm not 100% sure about this one.
1. Usually you can see a construction while + ING, here "introducing" is not parallel to "have introduced"
2. Also, "at the same time that" --> That modifies the time, and it is better placed in B (right after pollutants)

e. but at the same time introduce some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having
Again, Comma + ING-Modifier, modiefies preceding clause. This doesn't make sense here, so incorrect
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:42 pm

essentially correct, yes, but it's clear that you haven't read through the entire thread.

please read through ENTIRE discussion threads before commenting/asking questions. this one is over 80 posts long; basically everything you've mentioned is addressed somewhere in it.

thank you.
QianH530
Students

by QianH530 Sun May 01, 2016 5:28 pm

Ron,

I have once read in the forum that "while" should come with a complete sentence to express contrast. But in this question, "while + doing" can also express contrast. Do you think the older rule shouldn't be held? Thanks in advance!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri May 06, 2016 6:33 am

in general, if you just see "while __ing", that just means simultaneity more than anything else (i.e., it doesn't necessarily indicate contrast).

...but that's the whole point of using "while" AND "at the same time" here. by adding in the extra "at the same time", the writer is indicating that he/she definitely wants to indicate BOTH contrast AND simultaneity.
Crisc419
Students

by Crisc419 Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:54 am

Love your explanations.

Actually, I do not have confuse on this issue, just give more information about it to help others.

some explanations and examples from the Mahantton prep:

In general(Applied to adverbial modifier that use perticiples), the information presented earlier in the sentence leads to or results in the information presented later in the sentence.

slipping on the ice skating, she broke her ankle.----correct
she slipped on the ice, breaking her ankle.----correct
breaking her ankle, she slipped on the ice. ----wrong

have a nice day, Ron.

Cris
RonPurewal
Students

Re:

by RonPurewal Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:18 am

Crisc419
Students

Re: Re: