Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
4Days2Gmat

Like their male counterparts

by 4Days2Gmat Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:36 am

Like their male counterparts, women scientists are above average in terms of intelligence and creativity, but unlike men of science, their female counterparts have had to work against the grain of occupational stereotyping to enter a "man's world."
(A) their female counterparts have had to work
(B) their problem is working
(C) one thing they have had to do is work
(D) the handicap women of science have had is to work
(E) women of science have had to work

I am confused between A and E.

I know E sounds clear. But I chose A as it follows the same parallelism format as in first part of the sentence.

Kindly clarify
H

by H Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:32 am

The first "their" refers to "female scientist".
The second "their" refers to "men of science".
Within a sentence, it is not good to have the same pronoun to refer to different things.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:38 pm

is this really an official gmatprep problem? it really, really doesn't seem like one.

the only grammatically viable choice here is (e), but i don't think the gmat would juxtapose "men of science" and "women of science" like that (not to mention that the situation would be made even worse by the proximity of "women scientists" and "their male counterparts" - that's just way too much stuff for one sentence).

choice (a) suffers from pronoun ambiguity, as pointed out by the poster above. it's worse than just your garden-variety pronoun ambiguity, though; at first glance, "their female counterparts" seems to be parallel to "their male counterparts" at the beginning of the sentence - in other words, the spurious parallelism makes it look as though the female scientists have not only male counterparts, but also female counterparts.
ugh.

to the original poster, please confirm that this is an official problem; i have a hard time believing it.
ashish.jere
Students

Re:

by ashish.jere Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:33 am

yes, ron. it is true that this is a GPREP problem. problem 11 - practice test 1.

RonPurewal Wrote:is this really an official gmatprep problem? it really, really doesn't seem like one.

the only grammatically viable choice here is (e), but i don't think the gmat would juxtapose "men of science" and "women of science" like that (not to mention that the situation would be made even worse by the proximity of "women scientists" and "their male counterparts" - that's just way too much stuff for one sentence).

choice (a) suffers from pronoun ambiguity, as pointed out by the poster above. it's worse than just your garden-variety pronoun ambiguity, though; at first glance, "their female counterparts" seems to be parallel to "their male counterparts" at the beginning of the sentence - in other words, the spurious parallelism makes it look as though the female scientists have not only male counterparts, but also female counterparts.
ugh.

to the original poster, please confirm that this is an official problem; i have a hard time believing it.
cfaking
Students

Re: Like their male counterparts

by cfaking Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:50 am

Thanks ashish for confirming that its a GPrep Q

never have encountered this in my 19 re take(after un installing the .exe) in lat one yr or so.

so the OA-E?pls confirm
Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working.
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Re:

by RonPurewal Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:14 pm

ashish.jere Wrote:yes, ron. it is true that this is a GPREP problem. problem 11 - practice test 1.

@ ashish

what was the OA according to that practice test?
ashish.jere
Students

Re: Re:

by ashish.jere Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:32 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:
ashish.jere Wrote:yes, ron. it is true that this is a GPREP problem. problem 11 - practice test 1.

@ ashish

what was the OA according to that practice test?

(E)
kevinmarmstrong
Students

by kevinmarmstrong Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:46 pm

As a GMAT instructor in Madrid, I have seen over 500 sentence correction questions in GMATPrep, and I still encounter new ones from time to time. This is indeed a GMATPrep question.
mithra
Course Students

by mithra Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:18 pm

Yes, it is Gprep problem, Just did this yesterday and got it wrong (Marked A), E is the OA.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:37 am

kevinmarmstrong Wrote:As a GMAT instructor in Madrid, I have seen over 500 sentence correction questions in GMATPrep, and I still encounter new ones from time to time. This is indeed a GMATPrep question.

yuck.

thanks for confirming.
nonameee
Students

by nonameee Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:03 pm

Why Present Perfect and not Present Simple was used?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:34 am

nonameee Wrote:Why Present Perfect and not Present Simple was used?

you could use either, depending on the intended meaning.

the present tense would imply that this is an established fact -- true for women scientists in general -- that is unlikely to change anytime soon.
another example:
Lawyers have to work hard to become partners in their firms
--> suggests that this is true in general, and probably always will be true.

the present perfect suggests that the current group of women scientists have had to deal with this problem, but doesn't suggest that it's a general / timeless truth.
another example:
Lawyers have had to work hard to become partners in their firms
--> suggests that lawyers have had to do this until now, but carries no implication about whether this will continue to happen.

either meaning would make sense in this context, so, accordingly, the issue isn't tested.
nonameee
Students

by nonameee Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:37 pm

Ron, thank you.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:06 pm

you're welcome.
aps_asks
Forum Guests

by aps_asks Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:05 am

Hi Instructors ,

I understand that this sentence can be solved on the basis of Like/Unlike that indicates parallelism.

But , when do we use the verb form
...have had.......