Verbal questions from mba.com and GMAT Prep software
JJ
 
 

Not only did the systematic clearing of forests

by JJ Mon May 12, 2008 1:45 pm

GWD-8-Q20:
Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also caused erosion and very quickly deforested whole regions.

A. Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also
B. Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast), which gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but also
C. The systematic clearing of forests in the United States, creating farmland (especially in the Northeast) and giving consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but also
D. The systematic clearing of forests in the United States created farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also
E. The systematic clearing of forests in the United States not only created farmland (especially in the Northeast), giving consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it


I chose E, the answer is D, but I did suspect the OA is wrong.

Anyone?
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff
 
Posts: 7981
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:05 am
Location: San Francisco
 

by StaceyKoprince Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:51 pm

I apologize that we missed your question.

Can you please clarify the source of your question? I don't recognize the terminology GWD-8-Q20. This folder is for verbal questions from GMATPrep only.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director of Online Community
ManhattanGMAT
Live Stronger
 
 

by Live Stronger Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:48 pm

This is a GMAT Prep question. I got the same one today. Isn't 'not only ....., but it also ....' construction awkward ?
RonPurewal
ManhattanGMAT Staff
 
Posts: 15325
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:23 am
 

by RonPurewal Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:56 am

Live Stronger wrote:This is a GMAT Prep question. I got the same one today. Isn't 'not only ....., but it also ....' construction awkward ?


the correct answer, (d), doesn't have that construction.

--

incidentally, note that, even if it were used with proper parallelism, the "not only ... but also" construction still wouldn't be appropriate here.

rhetorically, the "not only ... but also" construction is used for 2 parallel items that reinforce each other.

example:
weight training not only increases muscle mass and strength but also boosts bone density. --> notice that the two effects mentioned are both positive effects.

in this sentence, the 2 effects are contrasting: the first half (farmland/houses/furniture) is positive, but the second half (erosion/deforestation) is negative.
thus, "not only ... but also" is inappropriate; just use traditional "but (also)", by itself, instead. that's exactly what choice (d) does.
lawrencewwh
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:06 am
 

Re: Not only did the systematic clearing of forests

by lawrencewwh Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:44 am

D. The systematic clearing of forests in the United States created farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also

I have 2 question

1st question on logical meaning of the sentence:

The systematic clearing of forests can NOT
gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture ,

instead farmland CAN
gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture,

So I think gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furnitureshould modify the farmland

2nd Question on "it"

in D,

The systematic clearing of forests in the United States created farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also

it can refer to The systematic clearing of forests ,
but the nearest Noun is houses and furniture, so it can also refer to houses and furniture?

Thanks in advance.
JonathanSchneider
ManhattanGMAT Staff
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:40 am
Location: Durham, NC
 

Re: Not only did the systematic clearing of forests

by JonathanSchneider Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:53 pm

If I understand you correctly, you are arguing that "clearing" (a gerund) cannot logically "give" consumers anything. But why then argue that "farmland" can? "Farmland" is as inanimate as "clearing." In fact, the GMAT seems to think that either noun can "give" these things to consumers; "give" here is in the sense of "provide."

The "it" clearly refers to "clearing," for two reasons:
1) "houses" is plural, but "it" is singular
2) "clearing" is the subject of the sentence, and we use "it" as a subject pronoun; thus, "clearing" is the most logical antecedent.
rohit21384
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:27 am
 

Re: Not only did the systematic clearing of forests

by rohit21384 Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:33 pm

Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also caused erosion and very quickly deforested whole regions.

A. Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also



Besides other issues in option (a,) "gave "should be "give" in following sentence.
"Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States ......... gave"
did +1st form of the verb............
does gmat test basic things such as this one ?
RonPurewal
ManhattanGMAT Staff
 
Posts: 15325
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:23 am
 

Re: Not only did the systematic clearing of forests

by RonPurewal Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:46 am

rohit21384 wrote:Besides other issues in option (a,) "gave "should be "give" in following sentence.
"Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States ......... gave"
did +1st form of the verb............
does gmat test basic things such as this one ?


nicely done. that's certainly not "basic"; you have to have a rather sophisticated understanding of english verbs, AND the ability to connect pieces of a verb over a long distance, to understand this one.
Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete fare domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.
– Yves Saint-Laurent
rajinikanth
Course Students
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:18 pm
 

Re: Not only did the systematic clearing of forests

by rajinikanth Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:49 am

Can we use the caused,defroested from the non underlined section for parallelism with created and then split based on created to eliminate A,B and C?

thanks ron, the not only X but also Y was a good lesson.
Last edited by rajinikanth on Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gurvindersingh2004
Students
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:25 am
 

Re: Not only did the systematic clearing of forests

by gurvindersingh2004 Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:11 pm

JonathanSchneider wrote:If I understand you correctly, you are arguing that "clearing" (a gerund) cannot logically "give" consumers anything. But why then argue that "farmland" can? "Farmland" is as inanimate as "clearing." In fact, the GMAT seems to think that either noun can "give" these things to consumers; "give" here is in the sense of "provide."

The "it" clearly refers to "clearing," for two reasons:
1) "houses" is plural, but "it" is singular
2) "clearing" is the subject of the sentence, and we use "it" as a subject pronoun; thus, "clearing" is the most logical antecedent.


The systematic clearing of forests in the United States created farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also caused erosion and very quickly deforested whole regions.

Isnt this "The subject,but it also.." construction an example of partallelism?

What if there are 2 singular nouns present in the sentence before",but it also" do we still abide by the "subject noun-subject pronoun concept" you mentioned?
RonPurewal
ManhattanGMAT Staff
 
Posts: 15325
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:23 am
 

Re: Not only did the systematic clearing of forests

by RonPurewal Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:56 am

gurvindersingh2004 wrote:
JonathanSchneider wrote:If I understand you correctly, you are arguing that "clearing" (a gerund) cannot logically "give" consumers anything. But why then argue that "farmland" can? "Farmland" is as inanimate as "clearing." In fact, the GMAT seems to think that either noun can "give" these things to consumers; "give" here is in the sense of "provide."

The "it" clearly refers to "clearing," for two reasons:
1) "houses" is plural, but "it" is singular
2) "clearing" is the subject of the sentence, and we use "it" as a subject pronoun; thus, "clearing" is the most logical antecedent.


The systematic clearing of forests in the United States created farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also caused erosion and very quickly deforested whole regions.

Isnt this "The subject,but it also.." construction an example of partallelism?

What if there are 2 singular nouns present in the sentence before",but it also" do we still abide by the "subject noun-subject pronoun concept" you mentioned?


in general, technically ambiguous pronouns that are parallel to the correct antecedent -- and are not parallel to any of the wrong antecedents -- are pretty much always tolerated by the gmat.
Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete fare domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.
– Yves Saint-Laurent
sudaif
Course Students
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:46 am
 

Re: Not only did the systematic clearing of forests

by sudaif Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:20 pm

I don't understand this construction in choice D

"The great Ron P taught online forum members a lot of good things, but he also scolded them a lot"

that's a joke btw!

the "but [he] also" part of the sentence just seems weird. Is that customary English language?
RonPurewal
ManhattanGMAT Staff
 
Posts: 15325
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:23 am
 

Re: Not only did the systematic clearing of forests

by RonPurewal Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:15 am

sudaif wrote:I don't understand this construction in choice D

"The great Ron P taught online forum members a lot of good things, but he also scolded them a lot"

that's a joke btw!

the "but [he] also" part of the sentence just seems weird. Is that customary English language?


yes. that is absolutely customary usage; it's very common.

it's really no different from any other "but" construction that uses 2 subjects. e.g.
john went to the party, but jim stayed home.
this is the same sort of thing; the only difference is that both of the 2 subjects refer to the same person/thing, so you use a pronoun for the second one.
Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete fare domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.
– Yves Saint-Laurent
nowwithgmat
Forum Guests
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 8:26 am
 

Re: Not only did the systematic clearing of forests

by nowwithgmat Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:46 am

can anyone say why option C is incorrect here
jlucero
ManhattanGMAT Staff
 
Posts: 1118
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 1:33 am
 

Re: Not only did the systematic clearing of forests

by jlucero Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:52 pm

(C) The systematic clearing of forests in the United States, [creating farmland (especially in the Northeast) and giving consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture], but also caused erosion and very quickly deforested whole regions.

First off, (C) doesn't have a verb in the first half of the sentence:

The clearing of forests.

And since it's not a sentence, you can't include a COMMA + -ING MODIFIER, because this type of modifier needs to modify a clause and not a noun.
Joe Lucero
Manhattan GMAT Instructor