Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
RonPurewal
Students

Re: One automobile manufacturer

by RonPurewal Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:57 pm

here, 'increase' is something that the manufacturers do.
so, your interpretation implies that, by increasing xxxxx thing, the manufacturers are 'amounting to yyyy statistic'. that's nonsense.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:01 pm

if the sentence were to begin with "xxxxxx statistic increased by 25 percent", THEN you could think about using 'amounting' in the way you're suggesting.
(again, note that the sentence isn't written that way; it's written as 'the manufacturers increased xxxx'.)

even then, the usage still wouldn't work, because 'amounting to yyyy' does NOT actually describe the action of increasing. rather, 'amounting to yyyy' is something that's only true after the 'increase' is FINISHED.

summary:

• right now, comma + 'amounting' is complete nonsense, because it suggests that the manufacturers amount to some number (whatever that means).

• even if you re-wrote the sentence with the statistic as its subject, comma + 'amounting' STILL doesn't work.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:04 pm

for more on why 'comma __ing' is still wrong here, even if the statistic is the subject, read here:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... ml#p112817
amardeeps400
Students

by amardeeps400 Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:15 am

RonPurewal Wrote:for more on why 'comma __ing' is still wrong here, even if the statistic is the subject, read here:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... ml#p112817

Hi Ron

I read the entire thread for this sentence. as per the explanations would is used as past subjunctive.
As per my understanding the structure of "subjunctive" is
"command subjunctive verb" that x "infinitive form -to" y

i mean we need "that" or "to" after subjunctive.What am i missing in understanding ???

"
One manufacturer has announced plans to increase the average fuel efficiency of its sport utility vehicles by 25 percent over the next five years, amounting to roughly five miles per gallon, and representing the first significant change in the fuel efficiency of any class of passenger vehicle in almost two decades.

(a) amounting to roughly five miles per gallon, and representing
(b) amounting to roughly five miles per gallon, and it would represent
(c) an increase that would amount to roughly five miles per gallon and it would represent
(d) an increase that would amount to roughly five miles per gallon and would represent
(e) which is an increase amounting to roughly five miles per gallon, representing

"
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:07 pm

amardeeps400 Wrote: "command subjunctive verb" that x "infinitive form -to" y

that ^^ has nothing to do with anything in this problem.

that construction applies to demands, requests, or statements of importance:
Circumstances often demand that we be vigilant 24 hours a day.
It is essential that you be on time tomorrow.

no such thing is happening here.
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

by thanghnvn Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:40 am

I can come to d but
an increase in D modify what. is it modifying "to increase"

is that right?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:22 am

the entire preceding sentence is describing an increase, so, that's what "an increase" is describing.

remember, when you're looking at a correct answer, it MUST be correct -- so, just use the context (and your own common sense) to figure out what's going on.
there's only one "increase" described in this sentence, so, once you know that you're looking at a correct answer, it's straightforward to figure out how it works.
NinaP494
Prospective Students

by NinaP494 Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:07 am

random it in C is a clear give away but still - can we also eliminate C b'cuz a COMMA is missing before 'and' as we need a COMMA b4 'and' if it sets off an independent clause? I know GMAT does test punctuation but if C was a correct choice it would use correct punctuation too. Thanks
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:08 am

• there is no such rule.

• the GMAT doesn't test the presence of absence of punctuation anyway.
RichaChampion
Students

by RichaChampion Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:17 am

RonPurewal Wrote:
shobujgmat Wrote:Well.

One manufacturer has announced plans to increase the average fuel efficiency of its sport utility vehicles by 25 percent over the next five years, amounting to roughly five miles per gallon, and representing the first significant change in the fuel efficiency of any class of passenger vehicle in almost two decades.

(a) amounting to roughly five miles per gallon, and representing
(b) amounting to roughly five miles per gallon, and it would represent
(c) an increase that would amount to roughly five miles per gallon and it would represent
(d) an increase that would amount to roughly five miles per gallon and would represent
(e) which is an increase amounting to roughly five miles per gallon, representing

Is it a typo mistake that answer choice "D" the right answer lacks a THAT after second AND:
an increase that would amount to roughly five miles per gallon and that would represent.
if it is not then why it is like this? pls explain

pls shed some more light on A. Especially give some example pls.

no, no mistake.

there are two kinds of parallel signals: ONE-PART (such as "and", "or", "but"), and TWO-PART (such as "not only ... but also", "both ... and").

when you have PARALLELISM WITH A ONE-PART SIGNAL, the only words that are "locked in" are the ones directly FOLLOWING the signal.
as long as you can find the corresponding structure in the other part, then the parallelism is fine.

examples:
i worked in nevada and florida.
i worked in nevada and in florida.

BOTH OF THESE ARE FINE.

reasons:
in the first, the part that's "locked in" by the signal and is just florida. therefore, the parallel construction would be just nevada.
since that construction is there, the sentence is parallel:
i worked in
nevada
and
florida.

in the second, the part that's "locked in" by the signal and is in florida. therefore, the parallel construction would be just in nevada.
since that construction is there, the sentence is parallel:
i worked
in nevada
and
in florida.

--

for completely analogous reasons, this sentence would be fine either with or without your second "that":

an increase that
would amount to roughly five miles per gallon
and
would represent...

an increase
that would amount to roughly five miles per gallon
and
that would represent...

Sir, There is one another parallel form that GMAC test -

FROM X to Y
As far as I understand that from is a preposition and it should be followed by a Noun that means X, and Y both should be noun or Noun form like Gerunds.

There is a question from ---. Since the problem is not hosted on Manhattan Forum that means the problem might be belonging to the Paid Pack. I am providing you an external link from [redacted].

According to me, all the options hold ||'sm because from is a preposition so it should be followed by a Noun. As long as X and Y are Noun or Noun form they will maintain parallelism.

From X to Y, Here X and Y should be parallel.

X = ---
Y = ---

All the options are 100% obeying ||'sm.

But someone said -
@ Richa - Not sure why you said that all options hold ||'ism but they don't. We need to account the verbs too.

According to this "someone" B, C and E don't hold FROM X to Y parallelism
Richa,
My GMAT Journey: 470 720 740
Target Score: 760+
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:55 am

RichaChampion Wrote:Sir, There is one another parallel form that GMAC test -

FROM X to Y
As far as I understand that from is a preposition and it should be followed by a Noun that means X, and Y both should be noun or Noun form like Gerunds.

There is a question from ---. Since the problem is not hosted on Manhattan Forum that means the problem might be belonging to the Paid Pack. I am providing you an external link from [redacted].

According to me, all the options hold ||'sm because from is a preposition so it should be followed by a Noun. As long as X and Y are Noun or Noun form they will maintain parallelism.

X = ---
Y = ---

But someone said -
@ Richa - Not sure why you said that all options hold ||'ism but they don't. We need to account the verbs too.

i'm going to be nice THIS ONE TIME and answer this question (while removing the external link), but, please do not ever do this again. it's not my job to become involved in discussions with other people on other forums.

the problem is not with the nouns; the problem is with the descriptions that follow those nouns.
only A and D have "X found..." and "Y found...". the other three choices express those modifiers in non-parallel ways. do not ask any further questions about that problem, or about any other paid problem, on this forum.
RichaChampion
Students

by RichaChampion Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:41 am

RonPurewal Wrote:
RichaChampion Wrote:Sir, There is one another parallel form that GMAC test -

FROM X to Y

X = ---
Y = ---

But someone said -

i'm going to be nice THIS ONE TIME and answer this question (while removing the external link), but, please do not ever do this again. it's not my job to become involved in discussions with other people on other forums.

the problem is not with the nouns; the problem is with the descriptions that follow those nouns.
only A and D have "X found..." and "Y found...". the other three choices express those modifiers in non-parallel ways. do not ask any further questions about that problem, or about any other paid problem, on this forum.

I am sorry. Sure, I will take care of this in future.

I am not asking anything related to that question, but can I request you to please answer my one doubt related to the Idiom From X to Y. In the Idiom
From X to Y -

Scope of Parallelism is limited to the laundry list i.e. the main items(whether that's a noun, noun phrase, adjective, clause etc. etc.) that are parallel . It doesn't care about the modifier attached to X or Y i.e. parallel structures do not need to have exactly the same kinds of modifiers attached to them(X or Y) as far as X and Y are same grammatically such as both X and Y are nouns or noun phrases then we do not need that the modifier attached to X or Y also needs to be of the same kind.
Richa,
My GMAT Journey: 470 720 740
Target Score: 760+
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:29 am

i have no clue what "laundry list" means.
this is obviously an important concept (since you put it in boldface), so i don't think i understand what you are saying/asking.

i.e. parallel structures do not need to have exactly the same kinds of modifiers attached to them

^^ correct; this is just common sense.
in real life, we don't always (or even usually) put exactly the same amount of description on parallel items.
I have a truck and a bicycle.
I have a rusty, beat-up old red truck, with over 500,000 miles on its original engine, and a bicycle.
(both OK sentences)