Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
jt714
Course Students

Sentence Correction, Chapter 7 Problem Set, Question 5

by jt714 Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:39 pm

The sentence is:
The editor of our local newspaper, who has earned much acclaim in her long career, has been awarded a Pulitzer Prize yesterday.

I have no problem with the answer to the verb tense. My question regards the first half of the sentence: "The editor of our local newspaper, who has earned much acclaim. . ." Doesn't this construction suggest that it is the local newspaper who earned much acclaim in her long career? The modifier is not touching the subject.
Ben Ku
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Sentence Correction, Chapter 7 Problem Set, Question 5

by Ben Ku Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:46 am

An exception to the "touch rule" is when there is an intervening essential modifier. Here, "of our local newspaper" is an essential modifier that tells us which editor we're talking about, and cannot be split up.
Ben Ku
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT
pranabiitkgp
Forum Guests

by pranabiitkgp Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:42 am

Hi Ben/ MGMAT Instructor - I have some doubt regarding the underlined portion . I think the original version is also correctly used the passive form of has awarded . For elastration - in active if the sentence is like - The committee has awarded a Pulitzer prize to the editor yesterday , in passive we can say - The editor has been awarded a Pulitzer prize yesterday [by the committee].
Please correct my understanding.
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:22 am

both the active and passive versions of your sentence are incorrect. this is simply the wrong tense. please see the book for further clarification; i think you may have been looking at the wrong issue..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html