Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
prashant.jakhetiya
Students

The pioneering research

by prashant.jakhetiya Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:36 am

The pioneering research of Lewis Latimer and Thomas Edison, who became known for his invention of the light bulb, accelerated the development of the first power plant, which opened in New York City in 1882.

a> of Lewis Latimer and Thomas Edison, who became known for his invention of the light bulb,

b> of Lewis Latimer and Thomas Edison, known for his invention of the light bulb,

c> of Thomas Edison, known for his invention of the light bulb, and Lewis Latimer

d> of Lewis Latimer and Thomas Edison became known for his invention of the light bulb and

e> that was conducted by Thomas Edison, who became known for his invention of the light bulb, and Lewis Latimer
sunny.jain
Students

Re: The pioneering research

by sunny.jain Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:16 am

IMO : E

Actually its easy to eliminate A,B and D.

out of C and E, I choose E because C has two error.

1) Research OF : changes the meaning
2) Known : in second clause,can ambiguously refer to either Research of Edison.

E,although Long but it has clear meaning and Who is referring to Edison.
ritesh.bindal
Students

by ritesh.bindal Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:24 pm

I thought it was C.
A, B and D were easy to eliminate.
However I eliminated E on the basis of wordiness "who became known for his invention of the light bulb" because C has less wordy sentence "known for his invention of the light bulb".

What's the OA?
sunny.jain
Students

by sunny.jain Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:06 pm

That's a good point. Please provide the OA.
pandeyvineet24
Course Students

by pandeyvineet24 Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:53 pm

Yes i think the answer should be C.

A, B and D can be dropped easily

A - incorrect us of WHO
B - incorrect us of HIS
D - makes sentence unclear.

The pioneering research of Thomas Edison, known for his invention ...
is concise than
The pioneering research that was conducted by Thomas Edison
vrajesh.dave
Course Students

by vrajesh.dave Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:37 pm

Please post OA.

IMO it should be E
NIKESH_PAHUJA
Forum Guests

by NIKESH_PAHUJA Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:26 pm

guys, can some one explain - why A and B are wrong ?

cant who refer to Adison in A? or who refering to the compound subject ?

I think relative pronouns refer to the immediately preceding noun. Or am I missing something?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:23 pm

NIKESH_PAHUJA Wrote:guys, can some one explain - why A and B are wrong ?

cant who refer to Adison in A? or who refering to the compound subject ?

I think relative pronouns refer to the immediately preceding noun. Or am I missing something?

you can NEVER use a pronoun to refer to half of a compound subject.

in fact, you should think of a compound subject as though it were a SINGLE WORD.
this is a useful analogy: you can't use a pronoun to refer to 1/2 of a compound noun, just as you couldn't use one to refer to, say, the first four letters of an eight-letter word.

--

this is actually much more extreme than you might think.
for instance,
joe and jane met to discuss her project
is WRONG.
it's still wrong, even though jane is the only female in the sentence!
since "joe and jane" is considered a single word, you can't use any pronoun other than "they"/"their".

2 ways to fix it:
(1) name jane again --> joe and jane met to discuss jane's project (ugly)
or
(2) split the compound --> jane met with joe to discuss her project
gorav.s
Course Students

by gorav.s Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:34 pm

Guys it is a choice netween C and E for me .
I discarded E for the same reason that it is wordy - " who became known for his research".

Please post the answer. We all want to know what is the correct answer?

Please post it soon.

Ron , you are always great. Your's posts inspire me. I am making a log of all your posts and find points you tell us in this forum.
Once I am over with my gmat, will distribite it to everybody to just learn everything from it -
name of that document will be - "Super Sentence correction guide by Ron - the Legend"..

thanks for guiding us always.
cheers
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:55 am

gorav.s Wrote:Guys it is a choice netween C and E for me .
I discarded E for the same reason that it is wordy - " who became known for his research".

Please post it soon.

Ron , you are always great. Your's posts inspire me. I am making a log of all your posts and find points you tell us in this forum.
Once I am over with my gmat, will distribite it to everybody to just learn everything from it -
name of that document will be - "Super Sentence correction guide by Ron - the Legend"..

cheers

the answer in our CAT pool is (c), based on concision.

i agree that (e) is not that wrong, but it's definitely inferior to (c) in terms of its concision and non-awkwardness.
ritesh.bindal
Students

by ritesh.bindal Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:08 pm

gorav.s Wrote:Guys it is a choice netween C and E for me .

Please post it soon.

cheers

Hi Garuav,
Can you please send the draft version to me. My CAT is in a couple of weeks and would like to see all the pointers given by the great Ron.
Ben Ku
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by Ben Ku Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:47 am

I think compiling tips you find on this forum is a great way to prepare for the test. You might want to send our office a copy too!
Ben Ku
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT
k_cumhur
Students

by k_cumhur Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:09 pm

Would it be still clear in choice C that "Thomas Edison", rather than "the pioneering research of Thomas Edison" became known if the sentence were as below: (without the pronoun his)

The pioneering research of Lewis Latimer and Thomas Edison, who became known for the invention of the light bulb, accelerated the development of the first power plant, which opened in New York City in 1882.

So the C reads;
of Thomas Edison, known for the invention of the light bulb, and Lewis Latimer

Is it the pronoun "his" here makes it clear, so we don't read that pioneering research itself was known for the invention ?

Would E be the better option then?

Cheers,
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:59 pm

[quote="k_cumhur"]Would it be still clear in choice C that "Thomas Edison", rather than "the pioneering research of Thomas Edison" became known if the sentence were as below: (without the pronoun his)

The pioneering research of Lewis Latimer and Thomas Edison, who became known for the invention of the light bulb, accelerated the development of the first power plant, which opened in New York City in 1882.

So the C reads;
of Thomas Edison, known for the invention of the light bulb, and Lewis Latimer

Is it the pronoun "his" here makes it clear, so we don't read that pioneering research itself was known for the invention ?

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question, but the sentence you propose is incorrect. The "AND" creates a compound noun, and the "who became known for the invention of the lightbulb" is a noun modifier. As of right now, the "who" phrase would be referring to the compound noun rather than clearly to "Thomas Edison".
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
KnowledgeSeeker
Forum Guests

by KnowledgeSeeker Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:24 pm

One of the points that the discussion started on got missed.

Should it not be "Research by" instead of "Research of"? Between C and E, I ended up choosing E (even though its a bit wordier).

"Research of" seems to imply that Thomas Edison was the subject of the research.