noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Diagram

by noah Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:01 am

Here is a full solution, written by my colleague Dan Gonzalez (and he's one of the authors of our strategy guides).
Attachments
June 2007, G3 -Jamaica Cruise - Manhattan LSAT.pdf
(76.66 KiB) Downloaded 1987 times

acc0520
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Diagram

by acc0520 Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:13 pm

Hi,

I can't understand why (E) is not right for the Q17. Because T can't be more than two in this set-up. There's no explanation about (E) in your diagram.

Can anybody explain it?

Thanks!

lucia2
Thanks Received: 1
Forum Guests

This post thanked 1 time.

by lucia2 Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:23 pm

I think I can help with your question. The easiest way to figure out this question is to look back at diagrams that you did in figuring out the other questions.

Why D is right:
We know we have to have two M's, and at least one G, J, and T. For each J, we must have a G right before it. So if we have 2 J's, 2 G's, and 2 M's, that's already six and forces us to make the last destination T. If we had THREE J's, that would force us to have THREE G's, and our TWO required M's, which already makes seven and we didn't even include T.

Why E is wrong:
However, if we had three T's, that is, Freedom made MORE than 2 voyages to Trinidad, then we could have the following scenarios:

From 1-7: T M G J T M T, for example

Or you could have: M T G J T M T

There are many other possibilities. It's really easiest to just try it out and see if you can.

Basically, the point in these kinds of questions are to look for the variables that have constraints on them. Example, J has a huge constraint on it because it's always attached with G. M has a constraint on it because we know there are only 2 and they are separated by at least one G.

T is the only variable without constraint--we know it has to be in the 7th spot, but that's it. For questions that are must be true/false, etc the answer tends to be variables with constraints on them, because those usually have to be one way or another (there aren't as many possibilities about where to put them).

shawtydatblade
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

by shawtydatblade Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:53 pm

I am also questioning the difference between answers D and E. I can see why D must be true. However, since J is never at week 4, T cannot be visited more than two times within the seven day range. Am I missing something here?

noah
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by noah Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:51 pm

I realized we're talking about Q17 in the diagram thread, so I re-posted this whole thing and I posted my answer here: post12769.html?

hippo3717
Thanks Received: 1
Forum Guests

by hippo3717 Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:22 pm

I was so bummed out...
the rule#4 screwed me over big time
because of the wording "week preceding"

It says G will be its destination in the week preceding any voyage before J.

I thought this meant : G-J, not J -> GJ.
Of course if this is the case, 17 is definitely D:
if 3 J, then you have to introduce 3 G as well which means 3G and 3J and 1 T. What bout M?

Wow, is the wording vague or extremely tricky or did I not just read carefully?

If it were to say "immediately before preceding" or something that would have this game more clear...

did any one have same problem?

noah
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by noah Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:28 am

hippo3717 Wrote:I was so bummed out...
the rule#4 screwed me over big time
because of the wording "week preceding"

It says G will be its destination in the week preceding any voyage before J.

I thought this meant : G-J, not J -> GJ.
Of course if this is the case, 17 is definitely D:
if 3 J, then you have to introduce 3 G as well which means 3G and 3J and 1 T. What bout M?

Wow, is the wording vague or extremely tricky or did I not just read carefully?

If it were to say "immediately before preceding" or something that would have this game more clear...

did any one have same problem?

Lots of folks struggle with this type of rule--I'm glad you got to wrestle with it as you'll beat it next time!

I think the key is to focus on pulling out the trigger and effect of these types of rules.