noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q10 - Artist: Avant-garde artists intend

by noah Fri Dec 31, 1999 8:00 pm

The conclusion of this argument is that when AG work becomes popular it's a sign that it's UNsuccessful.

Why? Because it doesn't fulfill the intentions of its creator (since beliefs don't change quickly), and we learn earlier that the goal is to change beliefs. (And, is it just me, or did the LSAT spell "fulfill" incorrectly there?).

(There are some issues with this argument, but finding those is not our job in this sort of question.)

The part we're asked about is the critic's claim that when an AG work becomes popular it is successful.

Seems like this statement runs directly counter to the argument, which is what (B) states. To be clear, while mentioning a counter point can be used in an argument to set the stage for what you're going to say (i.e., here's what I disagree with), you can't say that it's used to support the conclusion.

(A) is the opposite.

(C) is wrong because their claim isn't supported by anything. The initial premise is context, but not support.

(D) is mistaking the claim's role - it's not supporting the initial premise.

(E) is tempting since the claim is part of a counterargument, but it's a counterargument to the final claim, not the initial premise.

I hope that clears it up.

#officialexplanation

shawtydatblade
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

Q10 - Artist: Avant-garde artists intend

by shawtydatblade Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:02 pm

Hi smart folks,

I chose choice "A" for this reason:

AG artists intend to challenge mainstream and initiate change. **Some collectors claim a popular AG piece in its own time is successful.**
Mainstream does not change over a short period.

Conclusion: AG work is popular --> unsuccessful.

Does the author not use the collector's claim as a means to bolster their conclusion--that it's opposite of what the claim states? Maybe I'm looking at this in an upside-down manner...although I do see how the conclusion is disputing the claim.

I would highly appreciate some clarification, maybe an analogy?

Thanks!

Mab6q
Thanks Received: 31
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by Mab6q Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:19 pm

Hey Noah,

I had a question about B. I understand that it is undoubtedly the AC, but I hesitated originally because I felt it was too strong. "Ultimately disputed by the argument", I took this claim to mean that that the original claim was disproved, which might be a stretch in and of itself. My question is whether the LSAT will ever give us a AC for a role question that goes further than it should. For example if B had said that it identifies a point that is ultimately proven to be false by the conclusion. Would that be correct? Because the conclusion here does not ultimately disprove the original claim. Hope that makes sense.
"Just keep swimming"

rinagoldfield
Thanks Received: 308
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

by rinagoldfield Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:35 pm

Hi Mab,

Thanks for your post. Since all arguments on the LSAT are subjective claims, the test will not suggest that an argument has “proven” anything. As a result, the example you gave would indeed be too strong. The test might say something like “the claim the author tries to disprove,” but the test writers won’t “take a side.”
Here, the author of the argument disagrees with the art collectors’ claims. It’s fair to say that the argument “disputes” the claims.

Best,
Rina

ganbayou
Thanks Received: 0
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ganbayou Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:00 pm

Hi,

So changing mainstream belief does not mean it becomes popular?
I thought that even though it takes time it can still become popular, and in that case the conclusion "when an avant-garde work becomes popular it is a sign that the work is not successful" would not be established, and this confused me when I read the stimulus...isn't it possible it becomes popular while taking time and changing the mainstream belief ? And it still fulfill the intentions of its creator since it changes the mainstream belief??
Since I did not understand why the two cannot go together and what's happening in the stimulus I could not choose an answer for this question...
What did I miss here?

Thanks,

rinagoldfield
Thanks Received: 308
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by rinagoldfield Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:46 pm

Hi ganbayou,
I think you’re missing one key detail… the art collectors talk about a work of art becoming popular “in its own time.” “In its own time” means during the cultural moment that the work was made. That length of time can’t include a change in a mainstream belief, which the argument indicates takes a good while.