Thanks

ManhattanPrepLSAT1
Thanks Received: 1909
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 2 times.

Re: Q13

by ManhattanPrepLSAT1 Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:24 pm

Answer choice (E) can be found in (lines 5-6). The question asks what the primary focus of the curriculum currently being offered by law schools? and the passage states that, currently, legal education is focused on judicial decisions and analysis of cases.

Let's look at the incorrect answer choices:

(A) is unsupported. It mixes up the fact that the passage states that synthetic skills would strengthened by teaching statutory law, not from analysis of cases and judicial decisions.
(B) is never discussed. The passage does discuss the value of studying statutory law, but never goes so far as dividing the legal profession into areas where proficiency in statutory law is more beneficial and other areas where proficiency in case analysis is more beneficial.
(C) is unsupported. Synthesis is a skill mentioned in the study of statutory law, but is one the author sees as absent from the study of case analysis.
(D) is unsupported. The passage describes an objection to the study of statutes in "nationally" oriented law schools.

Hope that helps!

timmydoeslsat
Thanks Received: 887
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
First Responder

by timmydoeslsat Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:32 pm

Missed this one on my timed section.

It does not state primary or main anywhere in the passage.

It states that it is much. We also know that statutes are not taught at a sufficient level according to the author.

But I did not see it as a ringing indicator of what the primary focus of the curriculum was. I figured this was a trap answer with primary being placed in the answer choice.

LSAT-Chang
Thanks Received: 38
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful
trophy
First Responder

by LSAT-Chang Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:41 pm

That is exactly the reason why I crossed out (E) as well. Because it only says "much of legal education, with its focus on judicial decisions and analysis of cases" -- there could still be a different primary focus along with these two focuses. But I guess (E) is better than the rest...

ManhattanPrepLSAT1
Thanks Received: 1909
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 2 times.

by ManhattanPrepLSAT1 Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:16 am

So, I know this is a pretty complex statement, but it's reflexive. We could break into two ideas: much of legal eduction can give a law student the impression that the practice of law consists mainly of analyzing past cases, and legal education is focussed on judicial decisions and analysis of cases.

Additionally, we are told that the impression law students would get is that the practice of law consists "mainly" of analysis of past cases. The word "mainly" is what the LSAC would probably use in justifying the word "primarily" in answer choice (E).

Finally, we do not need to be able to prove answer choice (E) as a claim that is true based on the passage, but is more supported than any of the remaining answer choices - meaning we have a little wiggle room here.

Does that answer your question?

wtrcoins3
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by wtrcoins3 Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:06 pm

I still don't like answer choice E, because of the word "most."

If the answer choice said "what is the primary focus of the curriculum currently offered in SOME law schools," I would have picked it easily. But reading through the passage, we never see anything telling us about "most" law schools. We have "statutory law is OFTEN given too little attention." We have "much of legal education can give a student the impression...," and we have "law schools that currently provide statutory training [have it regionally concentrated]."

But never do we have anything saying that this is the case in "most" (more than half) law schools in the country. The question stem says "more clearly and directly answered...," and while it may be the best answer we have, I don't think it's there. What am I missing?

JessicaK163
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by JessicaK163 Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:43 am

ManhattanPrepLSAT1 Wrote:So, I know this is a pretty complex statement, but it's reflexive. We could break into two ideas: much of legal eduction can give a law student the impression that the practice of law consists mainly of analyzing past cases, and legal education is focussed on judicial decisions and analysis of cases.

Additionally, we are told that the impression law students would get is that the practice of law consists "mainly" of analysis of past cases. The word "mainly" is what the LSAC would probably use in justifying the word "primarily" in answer choice (E).

Finally, we do not need to be able to prove answer choice (E) as a claim that is true based on the passage, but is more supported than any of the remaining answer choices - meaning we have a little wiggle room here.

Does that answer your question?

I selected E at first but during my blind review, I changed my answer into C, as I noticed both involve determining the relevance of sth and interpreting some law. Can you please explain why C is wrong? I know it is exactly against the main point of the passage, but it doesn't mean that the two kinds of training need to be entirely different from each other.

Thank you!