dahee.suh
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Q16 - Nutrition education in schools once promoted daily con

by dahee.suh Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:37 pm

Premise: nutrition education once promoted daily consumption of each of the four food groups: milk, fruit and vegetables, breads, cereals
Conclusion: this recommendation was dangerous to health.

Stregthen Except Question

Since the premise doesnt contribute a lot to the conclusion, I saw it as background info to cross out answer choices that give reasons why the recommendation is dangerous to health.

With B and D, ended up choosing D because it seemed to weaken the argument. However, I can't figure out how B strenghens the argument. It feels irrelevant to me because the ommission of fish isnt necessarily dangerous to health. Also, I have it in my head that usually for strengthen or weaken questions with stimulus that doesnt have any comparative/relative statements, the answer choice with comparative/relative statements are generally wrong because they are irrelevant.

I would appreciate an explanation about answer choice B. Thanks!

maryadkins
Thanks Received: 581
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Q16 - Nutrition education in schools once promoted daily con

by maryadkins Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:54 am

Exactly, (D) weakens the argument.

(B), while you make valuable criticisms of it, at least doesn't weaken and arguably strengthens. I think omitting something healthy in favor of something less healthy is support for the argument that it's not good/dangerous to health. That means people think it's healthier to eat something that's actually less healthy to eat.

This makes (D) the clear choice.

As for the others:

(A) is a solid criticism of the four-food-groups model. So are (C) and (E).

ScarlettB257
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Q16 - Nutrition education in schools once promoted daily con

by ScarlettB257 Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:44 am

Cool forum