jackie8848
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Q5 - Large quantities of lead dust

by jackie8848 Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:50 pm

I did choose the correct answer (C) by elimination. However, I still don't think (C) actually weakens the argument. The conclusion is that the journal should run an article on how to reduce the risk of lead poisoning associated with do-it-yourself renovation. Since this article targets those who already decide to undertake do-it-yourself renovation, it only tries to demonstrate how to reduce the risk when homeowners renovate the house by themselves instead of trying to persuade them to hire the professionals. I would think to weaken the argument, one should argue how pointless this article would be in actually reducing the risk for the do-it-yourself owners.

noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q5 - Which of the following

by noah Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:29 pm

I'm not sure where you get this part from:
jackie8848 Wrote:Since this article targets those who already decide to undertake do-it-yourself renovation,

How do you know who it's targeting?

Also, isn't the following another assumption:

jackie8848 Wrote: it only tries to demonstrate how to reduce the risk when homeowners renovate the house by themselves instead of trying to persuade them to hire the professionals.

And why is it pointless?
jackie8848 Wrote: one should argue how pointless this article would be in actually reducing the risk for the do-it-yourself owners.

Reducing risk seems like a good point!

The conclusion of this argument is that the journal should run an article for homeowners on how to reduce the risk of lead poisoning when doing a DIY renovation.

Why?

Because homeowners will disregard warnings and do these renovations themselves instead of hire a contractor (who can do it more safely).

This is a weakener question, so what's the gap?

Well, as (C) suggests, maybe printing that article will lead more homeowners to do the job themselves, as they'll think "well, if this journal wrote an article on it, it must be fine to do it."

As for the wrong answers:

(A) is out of scope - what the homeowners know is irrelevant. We know that lead can be released.

(B) is about why folks do jobs themselves. This explains the interest, but doesn't help us weaken the argument that the journal should print an article. If anything, it strengthens it.

(D) is tempting, but it strengthens! This tells us why the article would be useful.

(E) brings in some info that a bunch of people would choose professionals IF the price were the same, but we don't know if the price would be the same! Maybe it's always cheaper to do it yourself.

ttunden
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ttunden Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:40 pm

How does C argue against the recommendation though? If the magazine publishes the article, then if any one were going to do a DIY project they would have less risk of lead poisoning. The articles job is to reduce the risk so if more people did the work themselves, they would not be in any danger.

I thought C would strengthen their recommendation since that article is geared towards this market and objective is to prevent the risks described earlier in the stimulus.

noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

by noah Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:36 pm

ttunden Wrote:How does C argue against the recommendation though? If the magazine publishes the article, then if any one were going to do a DIY project they would have less risk of lead poisoning. The articles job is to reduce the risk so if more people did the work themselves, they would not be in any danger.

I thought C would strengthen their recommendation since that article is geared towards this market and objective is to prevent the risks described earlier in the stimulus.

Good question.

While it's true that the article will help protect those that would have done it themselves anyway, does it help protect those that would not have? Note that we're told in the second sentence that these renovations should be done only by the pros. The goal of the recommendation is to reduce the risk of lead poisoning associated with DIY work. That could be achieved by educating the DIYers, but it also could be achieved by getting potential DIYers to not do it themselves!

If (C) is true and the article leads more inexperienced folks to do it, it doesn't reduce the risk of lead poisoning associated with DIY renovations but increases them since the article will increase the number of DIYers putting themselves at risk.

The idea here when debating this core is to ask whether there are unforeseen consequences.

xiao.xiao.hu.cl
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Q5 - Large quantities of lead dust

by xiao.xiao.hu.cl Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:38 am

The argument core : many people will DIY despite many risks→ Journal should run an article to reduce risks.

The gap is whether Journal's article can reduce the risks arosed by DIY. It makes more people who otherwise would have hired professionals DIY, which is more potientially risky.

ZIYAOW681
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by ZIYAOW681 Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:54 am

I initially missed C....

Now I think C is saying there is a probability that - the aggregate reduction in risks resulted from people learning DIY risks control may be smaller than the aggregate increase in risks resulted from such professional-to-DIY diversion. If the net change in total risks is positive, then the recommendation is bad.

That weakens the recommendation.

BangyuW932
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by BangyuW932 Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:06 am

Hi there. I'm truly confused about this question even if I have scanned the possible right explanations from other platforms.

Link1: http://jtaken.csoft.net/LSAT/Test Explanations/preptest11.pdf

Link2: https://forum.powerscore.com/lsat/viewtopic.php?t=8854

For me, C looks like an argument strengthening the content of passage's recommendation( it appeals to the more non-skilled workers to do a risky task), but it also looks like an argument weakening the act of giving a recommendation itself (it goes straight into the initiative of reducing risk). So, as a non-native ENGLISH speaker, I'm confused by the question stem. Is it asking us to weaken the content of the recommendation or asking us to weaken the act of giving the recommendation?

Laura Damone
Thanks Received: 94
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by Laura Damone Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:27 pm

Hi there!

That question stem is VERY tricky. It is asking you to weaken the argument's main conclusion: Homeowners' Journal should run an article about protecting yourself from lead poisoning during a do-it-yourself renovation. That is "the passage's recommendation about an article."

To argue strongly against this recommendation, we'll need to demonstrate that the evidence doesn't justify the conclusion. The evidence provided was that these renovations are risky, and better left to professionals, but that homeowners are doing them anyway. If they're going to do it anyway, we might as well tell them how to protect themselves.

This seems like pretty good logic, until we read C. If C is true, then we're not just helping homeowners who were already going to do the renovation themselves. We're actually encouraging more homeowners to do these risky renovations. If the goal of the magazine is to help keep homeowners safe, running this article might endanger more people than it helps protect. That's a powerful argument against running the article.

And one last thing: The confusing wording of the question stem is something we see a lot more frequently on old tests than on new ones. They test writers are more conscious than ever of their English as a second language test-takers, and they've tried to make the tasks of the questions consistently clear.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
Laura Damone
LSAT Content & Curriculum Lead | Manhattan Prep